Balanced weighting on SeaFrogs 8" Dome (keeps rotating dome up)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtoyama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
TL;DR: How do I set up my rig's weight/flotation to keep the dome from rotating dome-up?

Hello folks,

I just got the SeaFrogs Salted Line 8" dome. I previously had the 6" dome. The 6" dome was easy to get to neutral, balanced weighting - just about 36 (?) 7G wheel weights around the hood.

I'm having trouble getting the 8" dome to have a balanced weighting. I've put on a massive number of 7G wheel weights (at least 70?), which has gotten my rig to slightly negative buoyancy. However, it still rolls dome-up.

How do I fix this? It seems I have a couple options:
1. Add more floatation to my strobe arms (and then prob. add more weight to dome?)
2. Add more weight to the dome. Since I'm already negative only doing this doesn't seem like a good idea?

Attached a couple pictures of the setup. You can see I've even done a double layering of weights on the front of the hood petal!

image_67531777.JPG

image_16868609.JPG

Thanks!

1. Add more floatation to my strobe arms (and then prob. add more weight to dome?)
Pretty much, yes. Possibly replace two of the ladder arms with float arms. My setup is quite similar to yours (SeaFrogs housing, 8-inch dome, A6300, 10-18mm or 16-50mm) and I use two Weefine WFA37s + two 8-inch ladder arms, although my strobes are considerably heavier than yours (Retra Pro + superchargers). A little bit of an upward pull from the dome is okay; it encourages shooting upwards which is the best practice anyway :)

One slightly annoying thing about it though is that with so much buoyancy on the arms, holding the rig in an out-of-trim position (shooting up or down) takes considerable force, especially in the macro configuration where I add four StiX jumbo floats to compensate for the loss of buoyancy from the dome.

Edit: Posted the below before reading Barmaglot's post. I'm going to get a few more Large Stix floats to add to my arms.

OK, still looking for advice here (esp for those trying to solve the same problem), but I was looking at the pictures I posted here and thought, "let me try moving all the floats to the arm closet to the tray." Doing this got the rig ever-so-closer to balanced.

Looks like I need to buy more floats.

I used to use a SeaFrog with the 8" port and I used the Ikelite trim weight. Worked awesome.

click here Trim weight
I'm trying to attach the ikelite trim weight to the seafrogs housing (Sony A7 iv) but the tray doesn't fit. I have KitDive tray. How did you assemble the ikelite trim weight with your housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom