Balanced Rig: AKA "How much Lead do you REALLY need?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in cold, fresh water (great lakes and quarries), so "you don't need weight" responses are unhelpful.

When I did my OWD the shop gave me about 30lbs of lead, I did my checkout in a jacket BCD, 7mm suit, hood & gloves. I did the "eyebrows weight check" but even then I felt heavy, when we were doing follow-me drills at about 40FFW my BC was about 60% inflated.

I admit that I am not svelte in any sense of the word, however I still sink when I fully exhale. My understanding is that it takes 2lb per millimeter of suit thickness, so a 7mm suit would need 14-15lbs of weight. If the bp/w assembly weighs 6-7lb, and assuming everything else is functionally neutral, I would only need to find another 7lb of weight. So where does this other 15lb come from?

My understanding is that DIR promotes the use of a "balanced rig", properly weighted so that you can swim up an empty tank and only have to ditch a minimal amount of weight for a full tank. If you dive dry you can dive steel, which is negative empty and full, and you can make up the difference with P-weights or V-weights.

For starting out in a steel backplate and an STA, how much weight should I really be looking at carrying?

Hello One,

Common question.

I dive dry, full time, no additional ballast, don't own any.

I dive with HP double steel 80's.

My tec instructor, who hailed from Seattle was a buoyancy master, and could dive with just about any configuration, with no additional ballast.

My philosophy is, if you can carry lead, you can carry larger tanks, 117's/120's/133's/149's.

Larger tanks, will give you the negative buoyancy you are looking for from lead, and unlike lead, you can breathe from them.

On more than one occasion, I've been on a dive boat, with dry-suit divers, diving heavy doubles, and wearing forty pounds of lead. To me, this is someone, who was taught something, but learned nothing.

Learning/using/taking best advantage of peak performance buoyancy is the key, not more lead!

Rose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom