Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have an issue with balance. It's not underwater, it's on land.

Coming out of the water in my doubles, I almost always require a proprioceptive reference (someone's hand) to keep my balance. Granted, these are shore dives, and the exits are frequently on small, round rocks that roll, or soft sand or mud that shifts underfoot, and the gear weighs as much as I do. But it drives me crazy to be so dependent.

I'm wondering whether this is a strength thing (i.e. I'll have less trouble as my strength to carry the doubles gets better) or whether it's truly a balance problem that would respond better to balance training, like a tilt board or walking on soft pillows or some of the stuff I've read about that they're using for the elderly who are having balance problems.

I'm very, very frightened of falling, which doesn't help. I've already had over 20 fractures and a handful of ORIFs (bones getting pinned and grafted) and I cannot afford any more.

If any of you who do training for a living have any input on this, I'd be extremely grateful.

I'd buy a big dive boat and just dive off of that. :D:D:D

I’ve found an exercise ball works well for many people to increase core muscle strength and balance at the same time. Capt. Phillips has used it for several of our team riders to improve their balance and recovery on cross-country and to improve their dressage appearance while keeping them more centered. The biggest thing I’ve found in maintaining balance with a heavy dive rig is making sure you are using your abs effectively and not trying to balance it entirely with your back muscles, and ab rolling pushups on an exercise ball are great for that kind of toning and muscle awareness.

Thanks, Bill. I already use an exercise ball for core strength for my riding -- It's almost indispensable for dressage. But I'll have to give some conscious thought to whether I'm making effective use of my core when walking in gear. I may not be.

A real trick on an exercise ball that will strengthen in the right places and help is while balancing with your tummy on the ball try to keep your back muscles as relaxed as possible. In other words don’t succumb to the natural tendency to let them carry the load of keeping your back straight when you can do it with your abs in extension if you work at it. This will not only strengthen the abs, but it will help you become aware of what it feels like to use them.

Another workout that really helps with balance and all the muscles needed to correctly balance is a small exercise trampoline. By working to bounce in one place it forces your ankle and foot muscles to become stronger and react faster plus by using your abs to keep your torso straight you’ll find they react faster and with finer motor skills than you can do using your back muscles. Since most of my friends are now discovering we can’t do things with the same sloppy form we did 40 years ago many of them are looking for ways to do things with more finesse and less strength. A prime example was at Rolex last year when a friend broke a stirrup leather at the water complex and he said if not for the balance he’d developed on the tramp he would have gotten very wet rather than having completed the ride clean and on time.

I'd have to agree with Bill. Where you have rolling slippery rocks and loose sand to contend with, your core is more involved than just strength training, however I wouldn't over look it. Developing your legs, abs in traditional strength training methods will add to your ability to hold all that heavy gear when coming out of the water.

TSandM:
I'm very, very frightened of falling, which doesn't help. I've already had over 20 fractures and a handful of ORIFs (bones getting pinned and grafted) and I cannot afford any more.
Maybe taking a class where you could learn to fall properly would help mitigate some of your fear. It's normally not the fall that gets you as I'm sure you well know; it's what you do with the sudden stop at the end.

With your determination I'm sure you'll be trotting out of the water springing from boulder to boulder wearing your doubles in no time :D
Ber :lilbunny:

I also do a lot of walking over cobbles and rocks, and I find it challenging enough with an HP80 single! Yoga 1 legged balancing postures and running on sand and rough terrain are all good for strengthening and smartening ankles. But those cobbles sometimes seem to have a mind of their own, and I'm afraid luck has been a big factor too.

Something as silly as the flat disc that i've seen some sports poeple use with a ball underneath, sorta like what some hardcore skateboarders seem to do for ballance, might be a interesting practice. Sounds goofy, but try it someplace where you don't mind falling, and once you get comfortable put some weight on your back in the form of a backpack or something to continue the practice top heavy for the situation you need it.

As the concerned husband here (concerned for her safety AND my pocketbook -- hey one of us has to continue to earn some money), I want to thank all of you for your suggestions to help Lynne improve her balance.

HOWEVER, SHAME on all of you for not adding a very important point -- IT IS OK TO ASK FOR HELP!!! She has this "thing" that asking/needing help to carry 100 lbs of gear out of the water is not Doing It Right. To the contrary, having a teammate help is absolutely consistent with the philosophy of aiding a teammate when the teammate can use aid.

For what it's worth, Lynne is really tiny -- she has bird bones that break way too easily. Even with all of the balance training that anyone could possibly have, she should always use that "helping hand" for stability. A tripod is much more stable than a bipod.

BTW, I may be looking at a boat this afternoon (or tomorrow) which will take care of OE2's suggestion!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom