Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead:
That's what I was afraid of.

Nothing to be afraid of. Practice, practice, practice. We all need it. :14:

Adobo, I love your analogy of learning to ride a bicycle. I think there is definitely something to that. As I hovered today, I watched my buddy struggle, and thought about how difficult hovering for any period of time was for me in the beginning. Some of it was corrected by redistributing weight, but I really think there are tiny adjustments you make in how you hold yourself in the water that make a difference, too.

Sometimes all it takes is just to go dive.. After a while subconciously you'll make the adjustments in the background.... Some fun things to do while practicing trim and balance.... Pass wetnotes to each other... play tick-tack-toe on your wetnotes... ect

Thanks for all the replies. I will be diving all weekend, so there will be plenty of practicing. Hope it starts coming together soon, and I'm sure it will. I'll also be trying out my new Salvo cannister light. Maybe playing with the light will take my mind off trying to be in perfect trim all the time.

Oooooh, you GOT yours. I thought mine would be here today, but it didn't come. My husband says I'm so antsy its obscene :)

TSandM:
Oooooh, you GOT yours. I thought mine would be here today, but it didn't come. My husband says I'm so antsy its obscene :)

Got it! I ordered it from Laughingblenny.com (double80s on SB). He gave me a good deal and got it right out. It is absolutely fantastic. I can't believe how nice the machinework is. It is almost a piece of art. Can't wait to get it under the water. It sure does light up the entire area outside my house, and I only got the 10W head. I'm sure you will be in love once you get yours.

TSandM:
Adobo, I love your analogy of learning to ride a bicycle. I think there is definitely something to that. As I hovered today, I watched my buddy struggle, and thought about how difficult hovering for any period of time was for me in the beginning. Some of it was corrected by redistributing weight, but I really think there are tiny adjustments you make in how you hold yourself in the water that make a difference, too.

And the thing is, it seems like it comes a little bit at a time. Not like a big bang and all of a sudden you "get it."

I was in the pool tonight. I was sharing with an open water class doing there second session in the pool. Watching them allowed me to realize that I have made progress. It's taken endless pool sessions and more trips to the breakwater than I can count. (Like Ben always tells me, "Dude, just dive.")

On a side note, the instructor for the class had already taken DIR-F. As such, he was making a lot of effort to teach his students while maintaining a horizontal orientation. I dunno what he said to his class during the classroom sessions but his students were certainly making an effort to mimic his trim. A couple of them were doing a reasonable job. And this was only their second night in the pool.

I think people can argue the virtues of horizontal trim. But based on what I saw tonight, the arguments used to teach skills on knees on the bottom and completely overlooking midwater skills while in trim are just... well... weak.

Adobo:
On a side note, the instructor for the class had already taken DIR-F. As such, he was making a lot of effort to teach his students while maintaining a horizontal orientation. I dunno what he said to his class during the classroom sessions but his students were certainly making an effort to mimic his trim. A couple of them were doing a reasonable job. And this was only their second night in the pool.

Just goes to show you how much an impact the instructor has on new students. If they all see him on his knees, then that is what they are going to do.

I wish my instructor did taught me everything while in proper trim.

Now enough on this. Lets go diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom