Baker rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have diving experience they could share regarding the 'Baker rigs' out of Port Aransas in the GoM??? Thanks

I dove on the Baker rigs on the Orion with Capt Miglini a few months back. What can I say other than that it was pretty awsome! 150' vis, 82deg water temp, light seas, some moderate current at some depths. Pvillestang dove it not long ago also, I believe.

shaggie:
I dove on the Baker rigs on the Orion with Capt Miglini a few months back. What can I say other than that it was pretty awsome! 150' vis, 82deg water temp, light seas, some moderate current at some depths. Pvillestang dove it not long ago also, I believe.

PM sent.

I LOVE doing the Bakers, but this time of the year, it might be a nice trip to do the 26 mile rigs too. The viz is creeping in, and when we went out last, we did two Bakers, and came in to the 26 mile rigs, and they were pretty nice too. Slightly less viz though (140 as opposed to 150). Bakers are definitely better for bigger game fish, if you're into that kind of thing.

PvilleStang:
I LOVE doing the Bakers, but this time of the year, it might be a nice trip to do the 26 mile rigs too. The viz is creeping in, and when we went out last, we did two Bakers, and came in to the 26 mile rigs, and they were pretty nice too. Slightly less viz though (140 as opposed to 150). Bakers are definitely better for bigger game fish, if you're into that kind of thing.

Thanks for the insights on the rig(s) and conditions. Economics is a big player on this short notice trek for me. We would be doing a six-pack, 2 dive run on the Baker 50 miler. Those numbers are surprizing vis for the Gulf. :)

texdiveguy:
We would be doing a six-pack, 2 dive run on the Baker 50 miler.

Tex,

Do you have more room? When are you going?

Richard

PacketSniffer:
Tex,

Do you have more room? When are you going?

Richard

Richard..... As it turns out my thinning wallet and Monday customer appts will not allow me to do this trek....I tried to rearrange my account visits on Monday but one would not budge--gee. The trip is set-up/chartered for only trimix cert. divers. I really apprc. the input from shaggie and PvilleStang on their past treks out to the area. Well I guess I will be land locked on this one.....my lifes story this summer....getting to be a broken record...were is the fall diving season!

texdiveguy:
Richard..... As it turns out my thinning wallet and Monday customer appts will not allow me to do this trek....I tried to rearrange my account visits on Monday but one would not budge--gee. The trip is set-up/chartered for only trimix cert. divers. I really apprc. the input from shaggie and PvilleStang on their past treks out to the area. Well I guess I will be land locked on this one.....my lifes story this summer....getting to be a broken record...were is the fall diving season!

Sorry to hear that you won't be going Tex. It is definently a great dive experience in my opinion. Hopefuly something will open up for you soon.

Back
Top Bottom