Baji California Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone have any good ideas of where to stay....where to dive...and any dive operators in the Cabo San Lucas/Baji California area....I am looking for a vacation spot to dive out that way....

thanks

I have not been there, but I have been told good things about La Paz and also the Solmar V liveaboard.

I have been to La Paz in the summer which I really enjoyed, but there one should expect long boat rides to most sites. I am now planning a trip to Loreto. Cabo has a lot of activity above water, but from what I have heard, it is not the best of divespots in the Sea of Cortez. Have you done a search on the board? This really should be in "Mexico" - you might get better responses.

NightRaven77, it's like you took the words out of my mouth. I've been doing extensive web research, looking for the right hotel & dive operator. The archives have been helpful w/ the diving, of course. But would love to learn more about hotels. (personal recomm.) I'm leaning towards the Hotel Hacienda Beach Resort, in Cabo. Not to be confused w/ the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar in the corridor. I'll be going around the 8-14 of Aug. then making a couple day stop in San Pedro, CA. & hopefully diving Catalina Island.

This post really needs to be moved. Help!

I too have heard good things about Solmar V. They go about 200 miles off Cabo to some pinnacle islands called the Revillagigedos. I've heard large pelagic sightings are common. Laredo is also supposed to be a decent dive spot.

Stayed there several years ago and it was an excellent hotel from which to visit the sites of downtown Cabo while living right on the beach. You would be very comfortable there without a car.

As you have discovered, the Shearaton Hacienda Del Mar is on the strip between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo. Out there, a vehicle is convenient.

I'm headed for Cabo in May and plan to dive with Amigos Del Mar ( http://www.amigosdelmar.com/). They have been recommended by lots of folks on this board (and only "dissed" by one that I have found). I have been communicating with Kevin Colter (sealion@cabotel.com.mx) about my son's plan to do AOW. I have been much impressed by the thoroughness and rigor of his responses and plan to dive with Amigos Del Mar.

From the reasearch I have done (and lots of visits before I got certified) Cabo is not the hottest place to dive, but will still be interesting.

Have a good trip and please post your experiences.

cheers

I have heard Cabo is not a great diving destination. However, it is a place I've wanted to go to, even before I became certified. I'm thinking it will probably be about the same as Puerto Vallarta.

I wanted to stay within walking distance of downtown & still have a swimable beach. The Hotel Hacienda looked like a good choice. I've read it's quiet w/ not too much nightlife. On non-diving days I figured we'd party in town anyway. On diving days I'll be able to get some sleep, when I plan on diving the next morning.
Will you be staying there again in May? Hope you post a trip report & let us know how Amigos del Mar worked out for you.
Thanks again,
Kat

the absolutely coolist thing about the Hacienda is getting one of the rooms that is dug into the dune and fronts on the beach. You don't have to get your stuff and "GO" to the beach. You are there. Drag a chair outside, sit under a palm, read a book, take it easy. Few places offer that kind of relaxation.

I'll post an Amigos Del Mar trip report when I get back

cheers

While you're out of the water in Cabo:
Yes Vote: Gigglin' Marlin, Cabo Wabo (for the waboritas), Billigan's (fish tacos and cerveca on the beach) Fishing from a panga, Die Trying shop, bugs for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

No Vote: free breakfast with time share presentation. Even if they offer you free transportation to and from the airport. It's a wasted morning.

Unfortunatly, I have been to more than my share of timeshare presentations. The freebies always sound good but you are right, in the end it's never worth it.
Somewhere I read that the trick to getting them to leave you alone is to tell them your leaving tomorrow. As they always book you for the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom