Baja sites & post-hurricane conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citygrl

Reaction score
Hi-- I am going to Baja California Sur (Cabo, La Paz, etc) in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone knew how much the recent hurricane there would affect dive conditions. Also-- any recommendations of operators and site would be much appreciated. THANKS!!

Hi there. I lived and worked in Baja (out of La Paz) for the last four years. I'm unfortunately not there now, but I did just recieve an email from a friend of mine in Mulege, who say that the hurricane basically just brought lots of rain in the Cabo/ La Paz area. He also said that the road from La Paz north to Ciudad Constitution is currently unpassable because of the storm. But if you don't plan on going north, that shouldn't be a problem for you! A couple of years ago when Juliet came through La Paz, the water was yucko for diving for maybe just about a week. So, if you are not going for another couple of weeks, you shouldn't have a prob. Check out Baja Expeditions in La Paz. The BEST divemasters in La Paz & excellent crew. That's the company I worked for. Buen viaje!

Just heard from a source in La Paz today. Runoff caused by the rain & churning caused by the winds have reduced vis to 20-40', depending on the site. As saltyoceangirl has mentioned, this should improve over 2 weeks time, unless of course there is another severe weather event. I'd be looking for vis of 60-80'.

BTW, Baja Expeditions does have a nice crew, but the boat is quite slow and getting to the more distant sites can make for a very, very long day. I'd suggest going with an op that has faster boats, like Cortez Club.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

In addition to saltyoceangirl's & the Doc's good suggestions, I dove with Cabo Acuadeportes in June, and had a good experience. Fast boats, and nice staff. They are located on the beach at the Hacienda Beach Resort.

I was 2 months behind Squarepants & dove w/ the same op in Cabo. 5 to 10 min. boat ride to the dive sites & I loved the hotel as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom