Baja California - La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rirarianneke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of going to Lap Paz (Club Cantamar) beginning of September and wondering what to expect there.
Has anyone been that time of year and can you share your expriences please?

Also, Club Canatamr: i've read some nice reviews but none from divers. Any comments about this one too?

I did a day trip out of La Paz the second week of December of 2004 when I was in Cabno San Lucas, and dove with Club Cantamar. Great diving. Lots of sea lions, octopus and morays. Abundant fish life, even got to see a guitar fish. I was fine in a 3/2 full wetsuit: water temp was 80. Around 100' there was a thermocline, and the temp dropped into the 70s. I was impressed with the quality of the diving out of La Paz. My wife and I are returning do a full week with Cantamar this October.

We stayed at Club Cantamar 2 years ago, and were fairly happy. The hotel and restaurant were fine, but somewhat less than a resort. It is fairly well isolated from any other civilization, seeing it's about 30 minutes out of La Paz. That's not all negative though. It does mean you will be maybe an hour closer to the dive sites.

About the dive op, Baja Diving, you will be better off with your own equipment. There weren't any dangerous situations, but just a few niggly little problems that were taken care of upon our return to port. I do recommend a full wetsuit. It's not the temperature, it's the jellies, many, many 1/2 inch long little jelly fish that hit you as soon as you hit the water. Even our shorties didn't help. They nailed the back of both knees as soon as I hit the water on the first dive. On the other hand, you get so used to them , it's like being outside with mosquitos all around. You hardly notice after a while. The diving is definitely more on the advanced side. El Bajo is a set of open water pinnacles that top out at about 60-70 feet, and bottom out arounf 110 feet. There were more morays than you could count. Once you get away from the pinnacles you are in blue water diving; no visual reference except you depth gauge. It's kind of unnerving the first time. My wife got narc'd at about 80 feet and had to cut the dive short. Unfortunately, there was a hurricane that passed within 300 miles of Baja and all of the "big fish" went into hiding for a while, perhaps into deeper water. I'm hoping our return trip to Cantamar in 2 weeks will be luckier.

I'll post a dive report when we get back.

Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the response. What time of year did you visit la paz cantamar?
I just received an email from them that a shorty should be sufficient. But I certainly dont want to dive and 'fear' the jelly's.

I dived La Paz through Club Cantamar in September. My earlies post said December, but I must have been drinking. The divers in shorties complained of stings from jellies after a dive on the Fang Ming wreck.

When I return to Club Cantamar this October, I'll be diving a full 3/2 once again.

We went in Septmeber also...2 years ago

...and ditto on the 3/2 vs. shorties...the jellies are darn near invisible, and VERY plentiful

I'll be there in October with a group of photographers. Another group went last year and had a really great time. Here's a trip report from another board from last year's trip -- the pictures have been deleted, but you'll get the idea:

Club Cantamar Trip

Fish Wrangler:
I'll be there in October with a group of photographers. Another group went last year and had a really great time. Here's a trip report from another board from last year's trip -- the pictures have been deleted, but you'll get the idea:

Club Cantamar Trip
Sounds like a pretty cool trip. What times of year are you more likely to have whale sharks in that area?

Jcsgt:
Sounds like a pretty cool trip. What times of year are you more likely to have whale sharks in that area?

Sorry, don't know the answer. The whale sharks were there in October last year, so I'm hoping they will be there again this October.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom