Bainbridge Report Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H3LlIoN

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
:coffee: I'm headed to Bainbridge this weekend for Father's Day, anyone been up there this season that can tell me what water temp/viz is looking like? Never been...What's worth seeing there? Also, any nitrox divers trust filling your bottles there, or anyone ever had an issue with bad air ruining cleaned steels? Also, if anyone is going to be there, let me know. Perhaps we can catch up for some diving.

I was just there Wednesday night. Viz is running about 5-10 ft above the 60ft level (it got bad all of a sudden, it was about 20+ less than a month ago) Surface temps are low to mid 60's. The first thermocline drops to the 50's and I hit 41 down at 88 ft. (where the viz is actually really good!)

Let's see sights.....a couple boats at 40 ft, Cement mixer at about 50-60ft. bulldozer at about 70. another boat 80-90. (and an old pump house) Further out there are more boats a van a barn, but I've never seen them...there's also some assorted debris here and there, we went out along the south wall and found a ladder and a big chain at one point...(also usually out around the South wall the viz is better because nota lot of people ...classes...go out there...but can't promise with the algae kicking up)

I don't think they have Nitrox though, only air from what I can recall.

Have fun!

Word, I know they don't fill nitrox, but all my tanks are cleaned, and I wanted to check to see if anyone had any issues before filling there. Thanks for the help...Found a little shop called Descent Diving Center, dude running the shop was a man named Jeff... Highly recommended, great prices. Anyway, thanks for the help...I'll post back afterward with a report.

yeah. it's Dive In to BSC Just got back to the house, the quarry was nice, water was blue. Damn sinus block kept me from dropping below 15 feet, but here are the numbers that I did manage to collect:

At 3:03P.M., the water temperature at the surface was 81F, and visibility was roughly 10 feet.
At 3:10, at 10 feet, the water temperature was 77F.

At that point, I surfaced, and called my dive. After surfacing to check on me, my buddy dropped down to a depth of 53 feet and reported a temperature of 48F, and poor visibility. (<10')

Visibility was not due to other divers or large classes; The entire time we were there, other divers in the water totaled 7. The staff mentioned that the lake is prone to low visibility at times, but should clear up near early July. Relative to the quarry that I usually dive, the price was a bit steep, with less accomodations. We were informed upon arrival that swimming was not allowed. Therefor, the guests with us had to rent snorkel vests in order to get in the water, despite age or water proficiency (According to the staff, this is a state law). Subsequently, the two swimmers with us had to pay to rent the vests, as well as pay the full fee that we as divers had to pay. (The total entry fee for 2 divers & 2 swimmers was $104. The mae west rentals on top of that were $5 each +tax, bringing the grand total to $114.60) I was also disappointed that you have to pay extra in order to get a map of the facility. I didn't even bother asking how much that was. Camping is also an additional fee, as is night diving.

On the plus side, the facilities were pretty damn clean. I was definitely impressed. It was also nice that there weren't a million other people running around either. Although I did not use the service, they also have air available on site, as well as a "Fully Equipped & Professionally Staffed" service center, and a "Complete Line of Rentals."

Also, while they advertise depths of up to 120', diving in the deep side of the quarry is closed. Current max depths reflected on the flyer are '85, with the deepest part being located at 90', where a boat can be seen. Perhaps I will make a subsequent trip up here when it is warmer to at least have a second experience, as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps my experience will be completely different next time.

Please note that I do not know these people, nor have I ever been to this quarry before. My experience could very well have been skewed by the lack of diving due to personal health issues, relative expense and poor visibility. This was, however, my experience, and that is what I wish to convey.

Word, I know they don't fill nitrox, but all my tanks are cleaned, and I wanted to check to see if anyone had any issues before filling there. Thanks for the help...Found a little shop called Descent Diving Center, dude running the shop was a man named Jeff... Highly recommended, great prices. Anyway, thanks for the help...I'll post back afterward with a report.

DDS is where I go! Jeff is the best! He won't steer you wrong!

Definitely, our experience at DDS was great, and that will be where I go from now on when I am up here.

They sank the truck (Aqua Ventures) If you have been there in the past few months you would have seen the blue van sitting in the lot next to the fill station. We dove there today and it's in, but upside down! We were able to swim through it (through the passenger door and out through the back) but it looks like they have some lift bags still on it to "right the ship" It was funny as we came up on it and saw "telorvehC" I almost spit out my reg! It's currently in about 46 ft. And not too hard to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom