bahia de kino kino bay need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a single experinced woman diver/underwater photographer wanting to dive at Kino Bay, Bahio de Kino. I have been there many times, it has been years though. Would love to connect with someone who has been there or who wants to go, mid october, drive in from Tucson area, a few days there. It is an awesome quiet place and has so much potential, especially in early fall.

email llamamama@imt.net

I haven't been to Kino Bay yet, but there isn't much diving that goes on there. I thought I had been on a website with information on a local shop, but a google search now doesn't reveal much. This is the only site I found: http://www.seaofcortez.com/kino.html

I heard they have been planning on building a marina there, but nothing firm yet. I've been to San Carlos area for diving several times and there is good diving there. It's about the same distance, only farther south. In fact, I'll be there the first week of October.

Wish I could help more. Maybe we'll swing by there on our way back up from San Carlos and check it out and be able to give you more information.

Last time I was there was in 1971 or 72 and I wasn't diving. However we did see a HUGE (estimated 22') tiger shark that bumped our 18' double kayak as we paddled out to Pelican Island. That encounter didn't give me any strong desire to dive there!

The last time I was in Kino, about 7 or 8 years ago, there was a place at the campground in Kino Viejo that had air and a few tanks; did not see any actual divers. I have done a lot of snorkeling and fishing (whoops sorry non fishermen) there, off the rocks at the end of the long beach and near Pelican Island and it was fabulous.

If you will not go into the water because there might be a shark how do you do the California coastline? When your number is up it is up. What a way to go.... Beats getting hit by a truck or wasting away in a hospital bed. But then I hike in grizzley bear and wolf country and ski in avalanche paths.

I can't imagine that by now the Tucson divers have not spent time at Kino, such a gorgeous place, easy to get to and unspoiled so far. Or I hope it still is.

How about Puerto Penasco diving?

Most[/] of the Tucson divers want easy spoon fed dive trips to Mexico. They want to go down, check into the hotel that was booked for them through their LDS and get on the boat that was booked for them through their LDS. There are a few that go down in their own groups, but not many. I don't know of anyone besides myself and my wife that go down on our own. I think I will drive to Kino on my way back from San Carlos next week. We've been talking about doing it and that will be a good time for it. Maybe we'll even do a shore dive.

Don't bother with Puerto Penasco. I've been there and didn't dive. There's really no where to shore dive. It's mostly just long sandy beaches. And the snorkel shop in town that also runs a dive boat didn't even sound too enthusiastic about the diving there.

debb:
If you will not go into the water because there might be a shark how do you do the California coastline?

Quite a difference between our great whites here and the tiger sharks there in terms of their behavior with divers... AND what they are willing to take a sample bite out of. The tiger shark I encountered near Pelican Island was a man eater well known to the local shrimp fishing fleet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom