Bahamas or US Virgin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I planning a vacation for the first couple of weeks in May and cannot decide between the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands. I have not been to either and would like some advice on which location would be better for a beginner diver with a non-diving spouse.

By Bahamas, I presume you're talking Grand Bahama or Nassau? It's a big island chain and where you go would vary the answer greatly...

That said, what does your spouse enjoy doing? Is she a lay on the beach all day be back for dinner type, or does she want to go do things like hiking, shopping, exploring, sports???

Nassau has more stuff for the non-diver...but have you thought about getting her into diving??

Paul in VT

mike3318:
I need some opinions. I planning a vacation for the first couple of weeks in May and cannot decide between the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands. I have not been to either and would like some advice on which location would be better for a beginner diver with a non-diving spouse.

Been to Both. St. Thomas, USVI and Freeport, Grand Bahama. Previous posts are completlely correct. There's a lot of islands in the Bahama chain, some busy and some not, and theres a huge variation between St. Thomas, John, and Croix. An answer depends on what you and your wife are looking for. More shopping? More Diving? More People, or Less? Cruise ships, or Not? Give us a little more info and I'm sure you'll get a lot of options thrown at you. Ken :42:

If we go to Bahamas it is pretty much open but I was thinking along the lines of Nassau. As I stated earlier, my wife does not dive but I believe she will get into diving later this year but it will be after we return from vacation due to the Illinois weather. She wants to complete her confined and open water dives with the same instructor (one that she likes) so she will wait until things warm up. As far as activities, she does her share of shopping, enjoys snorkling, swimming and just lying on the beach. I am a new diver and always end up feeling guilty leaving her on the beach while I am out diving.

Right now, the USVI has warmer water, and weather.

Haven't been to St. John, but St. Croix has some wonderful diving. Highly recommended. Beautiful island. Shopping is just fair. Some very nice beaches, and good restaurants.

St. Thomas has mediocre diving, but great shopping and nice beaches also.

Nassau has some good diving, beautiful resorts, and okay shopping (lots of touristy stuff).

Lots of choices, but each island has it's own "best".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom