Bahamas or Jamaica in November for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my wife (who doesn't dive) and I have started a November tradition to take a long weekend (4-5 nights) someplace fun. The last two years have been Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. We’re headed to Playa again in May with some friends for a week and I’ll be again diving there this time doing Coz, some Cenotes and a few other dives.

For our November trip, since we’re taking a BIG trip in May I’d like to do things “on the cheap” and use FF miles if possible to get to wherever we go. We've also got a 3 free nights certificate from Riu so we're staying at a Riu resort which limits destinations. I'm thinking, rather than go back to PDC rather consider one of the following places:

Aruba
Punta Cana
Jamaica
Bahamas
PDC once again.

Punta Cana I’ve pretty much ruled out because from what I’ve heard – diving sucks.
PDC – while it would be great and I really like the diving, 3 times in a year might be too much
Aruba – would be great but the flights from Milwaukee or Chicago just suck and would eat up 2 days of 6 nights we plan on being gone

Which leaves Bahamas and Jamaica as possibilities. From what I’ve read Nassau has some good diving with either Stuart Cove or Bahama divers. Jamaica, we'd probably stay in Negril from what I've read which has better diving than the other two main areas.

OK so now, finally to the questions –

1 - How is the weather there in November? My wife will be laying on the beach or at the spa while I’m underwater so I want to make sure she has fun too!
2 – How is the diving in November - any weather issues?
3 – Why would I chose to dive Bahama’s v Jamaica?
4 - Should I just go back to PDC?

Thanks!

I know they aren't the cream of the crop - and if the Riu had an AI in Belize or Bonaire this wouldn't even be a question! But I've got a 3 free nights certificate from Riu which expires in Nov. So we'd pay for 3 nights and stay for 6. I've got enough FF mile on two airlines to get us to one of these places. Given that I don't mind spending some money to dive. Knowing that either Bahamas or Jamaica are much more touristy than places we like to typically go I'm sure the diving will be more expensive that what I'm used to paying Jason in PDC!! I just want to be sure that it'll be a fun different experience and there will be decent healthy coral and reef life.

What I don't want is what I've read about diving around Punta Cana!!

If it is just the diving you are judging on I would say the Providence. But if the above water scenery and exploration interest you as well, Negril.

I would choose Bahamas over Jamaica. Go with Stuart Cove Dive Opts. and do the shark feeding frenzy. We did this last year and it was one of the best experiences I have had. Bahamas is subtropical so the water will be chilly 70's and will be more expensive than Jamaica.

Jamaica has no wall diving and none of the reefs are protected. The locals do alot of spear fishing so there are not a lot of fish in the surrounding areas but your wife may like the weather and water temps better. Yes, I agree to stay in Negril for the beaches are wonderful along w/ the sunsets.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi. I can't speak for the Bahamas, as I was a newbie when I dove there, but I can speak for Jamaica--we just got back. I did 8 dives and no, it's not the most incredible diving ever, but I actually liked the diving more than I thought I would. The previous poster is correct--there are not a lot of big fish--we saw surprisingly few parrotfish and no barracuda (which I generally see everywhere)--there are a lot of small fish )blennies, hamlets, wrasses, etc). I saw several eels-(sharp-nosed?)--brown with large yellow spot and 2 octopus. We had a good current, so that was fun to dive with. If you keep your eyes peeled for the smaller things, there is still a lot to see. Negril's beaches and sunsets are fantastic! You wife will definitely love the beach there!

We just got back from a week in Freeport, Bahamas. We did 18 dives with Sunn Odyssey Divers and although the reefs suffered from the 2004 hurricanes we did see some impressive marine life: lots of Caribbean Reef Sharks (in Shark Alley), a couple of Southern Stingray, a Yellow Stingray (our first ever), a huge nurse shark, some eels, an octopus (in the daylight which was a treat), a couple of turtles, as well as all the other fish you expect to see. We were also surprised to see Lionfish on almost every dive. Overall, we were very satisfied.

My vote is for Jamaica and Riu has two huge hotels in Negril. In the recent past, I have had two different sets of friends (non divers) visiting from England (one family stayed at RIU) and they have all given rave reviews of Negril. Note though, that diving is an additional cost at RIU.

As for diving, I would suggest that you visit the 'Greater Antilles' section for reviews of recent trips.

Thanks for all the feedback. Based almost entirely on the fact that the Riu in Nassau is about the oldest place on the island we booked Negril. Now, I've just got to get dives set up, but we've got plenty of time for that.

Still looking forward to doing the shark dives in Bahamas at some point!

Back
Top Bottom