Bahamas in August-Algae?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikejane

Reaction score
I am planning a liveaboard trip to the Bahamas in August (probably on Explorer Carribean I), but I heard about some problems with algae around the reefs the past few Augusts because of the warm water temperatures. Has anyone run into this problem, and how much did it affect the quality of your diving? If it is a significant problem, I would consider switching the trip to the more expensive Turks & Caicos. Thanks.

I dove Grand Bahama last August and in 9 dives saw no obvious signs of bleaching (I'm assuming that is your concern)

But things can change.

i know this is not what you asked for but i've been steered away from that part of the carribbean for my August trip becuase of hurricane season. i'm thinking western or southern.

fyi

I can't say that I've really seen any diffference between summer/winter.

I would reccomend checking the tides for the area, and sked your trip so you are diving during an incoming tide. The vis will be 100% better. There is a lot of green stuff that pours off the Bahamas Banks when the tide goes out.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom