Bahamas COnditions in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have a 4 day mini trip to the Bahamas (I think Grand Bahama) in August. I'm assuming the water will be very warm :) So I'm guessing a shorty is in order? I was comfortable in my 5-4-3 in Coz where it was 82F, but I wished I had something smaller.

It's either Just absolutely beautiful, or hellfire and brimstone!!
As long as the storms stay clear it will be beautiful.

I'd still wear a fullsuit, just for the extra protection. I've seen divers who came into contact with fire coral that was just floating in the water. They weren't even close to the reef.

Dive skin is the most you will need.

I will also be in GB in August. I will be my first trip there. However, based on other experiences in the Caribbean, I always were full body protection (3 mil full wetsuit or a skin). Fire coral and jellyfish can make your dives miserable.

Have a great trip, and dive safe!

There is always the possibility of jelly fish near the surface. Floating fire coral? I don't know; somebody in front of you went with a full suit, a lot of weight, little control and kicked it. I avoid making contact with any coral and if I'm in a full suit and heavily weighted I'm just more clumsy.

Anyway for me the water is toooo warm and a skin is plenty.

We're going to be there next week at New Providence Island (southwest end). I've been watching the weather and crossing my fingers that we have great weather just like its been for the last few weeks. We dove there in December and had a great time so we are bringing some friends back with us. In December we wore 3mm with core warmers but we were doing 4 dives a day. This time I'm sure we will be plenty warm with just the 3mm. Are jelly fish a problem there this time of year?

Can't wait to go diving!

jdf:
We're going to be there next week at New Providence Island (southwest end). I've been watching the weather and crossing my fingers that we have great weather just like its been for the last few weeks. We dove there in December and had a great time so we are bringing some friends back with us. In December we wore 3mm with core warmers but we were doing 4 dives a day. This time I'm sure we will be plenty warm with just the 3mm. Are jelly fish a problem there this time of year?

Can't wait to go diving!

We just came back from GBI with Grand Bahama Scuba and Ocean Reef Yacht Club. Temps were quite hot throughout our stay: 90 plus degree temps every day, and the water was warm for diving and snorkeling. My husband wore his 3 mm while diving, and I wore my usual skin and shortie while I snorkeled, although I'll admit I was a bit warm. A hot summer came to GBI early this year according to the dive staff at GBS, and I guess its likely it will stay that way.

You'll be fine with just minimal protection. 3mm shorty or the like. we went to Grand Bahama last August, and had a blast. We used Xanadu and were very happy with them, did the shark dive too, very exciting. I miss all the wrecks, were going to cozumel this August, and they only have one decent wreck to speak of.

MAGELLAN:
You'll be fine with just minimal protection. 3mm shorty or the like. we went to Grand Bahama last August, and had a blast. We used Xanadu and were very happy with them, did the shark dive too, very exciting. I miss all the wrecks, were going to cozumel this August, and they only have one decent wreck to speak of.
LOL if you want wrecks try the SW coast of England or the mid-Atlantic! If you want drift diving and incredible reefs go to Cozumel! Absolutely awesome!

England, that's too cold for me! :11: One of the things I liked about the bahamas was the wrecks. Cozumel has a lot to offer, but no wrecks really. Oh well, guess you can't have it all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom