Bagus Dive in Amed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KUFan452

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! My boyfriend and I will be diving for a few days on the northeastern section of Bali. We know that everyone recommends both Tauch Terminal and Tulamben Wreck Divers, but I'm concerned about the massive crowds at both these resorts and at Liberty. I'm also looking for a more authentic type of Balinese resort. I found a lovely place in Amed -- Apa Kabar Villas. They have a "new" dive shop called Bagus Dive. I'm wondering if anyone has dived with them or heard anything about their op. We want to dive but we also don't want to be fighting other divers! Thanks!

I wouldn't call the crowd at Tulamben massive... Dive the wreck in the early morning when it is deserted & when the crowd comes, go dive at the other Tulamben sites...
Have also heard good things abt diving at Amed, have fun! Do a trip report for our benefit, please. :blinking:

"Avoiding the crowd" can be a bit of a concern if youre headed to Bali, dont have your own equipment or the confidence to just rent gear and jump in on your own.

Personally I dont like being pared with a bunch of other divers and herded around a dive site. (Which tends to happen with some of the other big dive shops)

In Amed I have dived with "Mama Dive" a few times and found them to be pretty good. Rarely a big group and Mutsumi (the owner) is pretty flexible. I'd recommend checking it out!

Thanks OD! I'll check out Mama Dive. I've dived in Bonaire which is pretty much all shore diving so I'm not afraid to just jump in. The difference in Bonaire is they have trucks with tank racks readily available and getting tanks is pretty easy. Is it the same in Bali -- particularly up near the Tulamben area?

Oh, I promise to do a trip report!

Woodiver -- Thanks! That would be great! I would love to know the sites that you liked best as well.

Ooh, well the shore entry in Tulamben is probably the worst that I have done. Lots of mid sized boulders makes it hard to enter (especially with a tank on your back) and even harder to exit - especially if the waves are acting up.

I guess its not THAT bad, but it really helps if youve got hard soled booties.

Thanks OD! I'll check out Mama Dive. I've dived in Bonaire which is pretty much all shore diving so I'm not afraid to just jump in. The difference in Bonaire is they have trucks with tank racks readily available and getting tanks is pretty easy. Is it the same in Bali -- particularly up near the Tulamben area?

Oh, I promise to do a trip report!

You can grab a tank at the shops that are right in front of the wreck - They will get a guide to go with you for 5 US per dive.

for good information on dive spots in bali, check out:

werner lau (try to google it, as i'm still not allowed to post link :p)

i was in Tulamben, April 2010. I was there for 5 days for my Advanced PADI course.

for rough budgeting info, try to google "divetulamben".
(it's a dive shop attached to matahari bungalow.

i stayed at Mimpi resort.
I loved it there, especially the fresh water pool, beautiful sunrise during breakfast every morning. And it's location is superb!

Almost all the resorts in Tulamben has a diving company attached to it.
looking for quality gears to rent / tanks shouldn't be a problem at all.
they also have porters to carry your gears.

i dived at
>>> "the Liberty Wreck" (Shore Dive, night dive)
>>> "Coral Garden" (Shore Dive)
>>> "Drop Off" (Shore Dive)
>>> "Batu Kelebit" (5 minutes by boat from Mimpi Resort)
Love it all, there's always something new to see.

If you hate diving in groups with strangers, there are plenty of "Dive Safari's" Guide in bali. They'll guide you to your preferred diving sites, arrange everything for you, and it'll be private, just you and your partner (+your guide; just pretend he is not there)

For less touristy dive sites, do check out "Pemuteran Village", near "Menjangan Island"
i heard some great reviews on it

cheers and hope you'll enjoy BALI as much as i do.

:-D

at werner lau website, click "bali"

and click one of the dive center / hotel.

and on the top right you'll see "DIVE SPOTS".

and VOILA!!! one of the best dive sites info in bali, with maps and all :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom