Bad turbinectomy 6 years ago, improving now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,
6 years ago I decided to undergo a surgical procedure to solve my troubles in compensating one ear and finally embrace my dream of diving. I have always done only skin diving at shallow depths (4 meters were already an unbearable pain) due to that...feel like I'm in shackles.

Ended up in turbinectomy, adenoidectomy and a slight adjustment to the nasal septum.

Hate to say that the procedure didn't went well. Unexplicably lost ~1.5 liters of blood after waking from the anesthesia and had to undergo general anesthesia and surgery again to cautherize the damaged vessel. Had twin nasal packs in the affected nostril for more than a week to slow down the bleeding while waiting for them to decide to put me again under the knife! Was terrible when they got these out (if one hurts, two may make you faint)!

They loaded me with iron supplements and coagulating agents; remember that I was half fainting when trying to shoosh or squash the mosquitoes that kept biting me...but these died shortly after biting me anyway (magics of medicine!). Almost had to be put on transfusion. But yeah, everything is pretty fuzzy regarding my recollections of that period of time.

As a result I have now a more turbulent (noisy and seemingly slowed) breathing from the affected nostril. Sometimes it bleed a little (just tiny spots, no flowing blood), which is something that never occurred to me before the procedure.
It also didn't helped at all in solving the problem in compensating.

Until now maybe...in my last flights I didn't even had to compensate.
I tried pressurizing the ears (tried it again now, as it is hard to believe) and these seems to work better, albeit with the right one pressurizing with less effort compared to the left.

Now I ask: is it possible of compensation related issues to get better over time?
Don't want to uselessly fool me. Going to a dive center and ask them just to try if my ear is working sounds quite dumb (and costly) to do.
Compensating properly while skin diving will always be out of my league probably (due to the added effort of head-first and the limited amount of time/air/effort available. But maybe I can finally get my OWD!

I'm not an ENT but I think it's fair to say that (a) massive hemorrhage wasn't the only surgical complication you experienced and (b) your improvement has plateaued after six years, and you're probably at your (relatively) new baseline. It may be worth going to another ENT surgeon to see if there's any more than can be done from that end.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom