Bad tank purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with Worthington tanks OOP, folks may have to consider them as a more normal choice, despite their characteristics...

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to point out, could you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly OT but you should look at your weighting needs. Say you need 25lbs with your dry suit and garments. With a backplate and double regs you have -8lbs, add a can light another -3 lbs. at 500psi you have another -10lbs. So to be neutral at 15 feet you need another -4 lbs of ditchable weight. All sounds good. Now look at the cylinders when full -23lbs. So when you first get in you are -13lbs negative on the surface. But at the bottom you lose most of the buoyancy of your dry suit so there may only be 5lbs left. At that point you are now -33lbs negative. Your BCD and/or drysuit need to be able to handle that. Most can but one must also be mindful that they may need to swim their rig up. Further a bcd should be able to float your rig when full without you in it. In this case -31lbs. So you need a wing that can hold at least 40 lbs.

There is a sticky in the BCD forum with a calculator that will help run different configurations. Try it with some real numbers for your gear. You might find yourself overly weighted to deal with an equipment issue.

OOP = "out of production" Worthington (XS Scuba) are no longer manufacturing scuba tanks. Choices are becoming limited.... one might just have to put up with the characteristics that made us choose other tanks like Worthington.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to point out, could you elaborate?

OOP = "out of production" Worthington (XS Scuba) are no longer manufacturing scuba tanks. Choices are becoming limited.... one might just have to put up with the characteristics that made us choose other tanks like Worthington.

Oh, I gotcha. What about Faber? I've heard that those are also quite popular for doubles

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

Slightly OT but you should look at your weighting needs. Say you need 25lbs with your dry suit and garments. With a backplate and double regs you have -8lbs, add a can light another -3 lbs. at 500psi you have another -10lbs. So to be neutral at 15 feet you need another -4 lbs of ditchable weight. All sounds good. Now look at the cylinders when full -23lbs. So when you first get in you are -13lbs negative on the surface. But at the bottom you lose most of the buoyancy of your dry suit so there may only be 5lbs left. At that point you are now -33lbs negative. Your BCD and/or drysuit need to be able to handle that. Most can but one must also be mindful that they may need to swim their rig up. Further a bcd should be able to float your rig when full without you in it. In this case -31lbs. So you need a wing that can hold at least 40 lbs.

There is a sticky in the BCD forum with a calculator that will help run different configurations. Try it with some real numbers for your gear. You might find yourself overly weighted to deal with an equipment issue.

I believe that I need closer to 32 pounds to be negative in my drysuit and undergarments, and the doubles wing that I thankfully purchased is a 50 pound wing. I'll try out the calculator and see what I get with my gear. One thing that may not factor in from your calculations was losing buoyancy with depth. While this would be true with a neoprene suit, I'm diving a shell suit so there shouldn't be a swing in buoyancy.

Farbers are rumored to have a little more buoyancy swing. I recently obtained three HP100 Farbers (one pair shall become a twinset) that I am "getting to know"....

edit:

Farber HP100: -8.4 full, -1.7 w/ 500 psi (so about similar to an "unpopular" AL100 @ -7.8/-1.5)

Last edited:
Farbers are rumored to have a little more buoyancy swing. I recently obtained three HP100 Farbers (one pair shall become a twinset) that I am "getting to know"....

edit:

Farber HP100: -8.4 full, -1.7 w/ 500 psi (so about similar to an "unpopular" AL100 @ -7.8/-1.5)

Why would that be unpopular? The buoyancy swing seems to be similar to a worthington or sherwood and they don't have the extreme negativity that the Sherwood's have which many people have pointed out as a negative.

beats the heck out of me.... then again, I'm in cold (mid-40's) water in the Great Lakes, with a DS, super thick insulation layers, thick gloves, thick hoods, redundant air, etc. Anything on my back takes it off my waist. A wing and a DS gives me the redundancy.......

as they say, "you can't please all the people all the time"....

edit:

100cuft of air weighs the same regardless of the container and pressure. Thus the swing is the same the only difference is empty (full) buoyancy point.

true, which is why I too do not understand the complaints about Farbers....

perhaps it is the "closer" to neutral they become compared to Worthingtons?

I dive a drysuit with fairly heavy undergarments because the water temp is usually between 42 and 48 degrees F. I don't understand how the extra 2ish pounds above a comparable worthington or faber hp 100 would be negative. In my mind it simply takes 4 pounds off a weight belt, right?
---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 12:39 AM ----------

It is just a maybe. Here is my reason; -4.4lb x 2 + (-5lb for bands and manifold). So the tanks is -14lb empty. More importantly is now these tank trim out for you. If you need a few lb of tail weight, then your rig become more negative. I am not saying they don't work, just on the heavy side

---------- Post added July 17th, 2014 at 07:07 PM ----------

true, which is why I too do not understand the complaints about Farbers....

perhaps it is the "closer" to neutral they become compared to Worthingtons?

I think the dry weight also needs to be considered. The actual (mass) matter is the dry weight + buoyancy. AL C100 is 46lb dry + (-0.4lb negative) => 45.5lb. This is how much mass you need to move in water. F=ma. The more mass, the harder to move it around regardless of buoyancy. In the case of Faber LP85, it is 31lb + 0. X7 is 33 + (-2.5) = 30.5

I think Faber HP100 is -7.26lb empty, or are we talking about the same Faber?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom