Bad photographers at SCUBA Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen this type of behavior although I'm sure it happens. Do certain locations attract these types? Diving in the Caymans I've never experienced this.

I'm usually last in line because of being a photographer and everyone ahead of me are constantly looking for things for me to shoot. Each person with a camera or GoPRo takes a few shots and moves away if you are last in line and subject is still there you get to spend more time lining up your shot. I like being last because then you get to include the divers ahead of you in your shots. here's an example

DIVERS ON WALL.jpg

I've seen all sorts of bad behavior by photographers in Cozumel, sometimes by very nice people. You don't have to be a jerk to act like an idiot with a camera in your hands. For me the dive behavior of my fellow divers has a big impact on my enjoyment of the dive, and in Cozumel, photographers are unfortunately some of the worst offenders. But they're not the only ones!

I take great pride with my buoyancy skills with my camera rig. I still may poke a finger in the sand on occasion but I look to avoid Blennies homes or any other critter beforehand. You need to learn to hover and control your position with your breathing before being given a camera. I also like being at the end of the conga line. My problem is I'll look up and wonder where everyone went? Kick like heck down the reef and look for bubbles. I have competent buddies (thanks guys and gals, you know who you are) that will hang back with me and keep the group in sight. People have said they like that I don't disturb the reef while I take my images. I'm no pro photog, but I know it takes thousands of years to make some things underwater only to be kicked over by a diver. It's not worth killing something for a picture. I'm not without an accidental sin but I think most divers do their best to avoid hurting the reef. I've been dusting off sand on coral/sponges and tucking in dangling hoses on divers for years. I've seen DM's not allow a diver on a second dive. The one time DM said that he made his living on the reef and if he kept it up he would be out of a job. Diver was given his money back and driven to town from the beach club. We saw him later diving with another op kicking up a sand storm... I wanted to swim over to turn off the air on his tank.

Edit: One thing I've noticed over the years. Most people are over weighted. This makes them very upright in the water column. They have no idea where their fin tips are and what they are doing to the reef and the current grabs them and blows them down the reef further exacerbating their woes to keep with the group.
I also try to not "hog" the wildlife. I usually take a few shots and look to see if anyone is near to take a look. There are rude people everywhere though.

I am not familiar with Cozumel diving, and I wonder if the currents make photography a bit more of a challenge. If your bouyancy isn't spot on, and a current is flowing, it may make a diver feel he needs to stabilize by holding something. Cayman has no current and the photographers I've been with seem to be considerate and non invasive to the reef system. The OP sounds like he had a bad day. If you want good pictures of critters go to where the boats and people aren't, you'll always find something.

Actually I did most of my reef terrorizing when I was young,even going so far as to stand in a barrel sponge for a photograph.. Now days, you'd be shot for that. I hope the sponge forgives me.. The older i get the more patient and less likely to get excited if the photo subject swims away. I'll know I will find him another day. Cheers

I have seen this behaviour multiple times with photogs in Coz. I can't stand most of them and always ask to be placed on different boats. Yes, some or most are cool and good divers, but I just would rather not risk getting stuck with "one of them". :)

I think this thread is really kinda ironic. As a photographer/videographer, I'm always at the end of the line. What do I see in front of me? Tons of divers without cams oblivious to what they're touching or stirring up. Some day I'm sure I'll make it through a swim through that isn't silted up by the non photogs in front of me. Bottom line is as divers, hopefully, we are ALL mindful of what we might be disturbing around us. If I had my way... I would wish to be placed with ONLY photographers on a boat. That way, especially in Coz, I wouldn't miss so many opportunities because I'm afraid of getting seperated from the rest of the group. On LOB's I've done we did just that, grouped Photpgraphers together, works great for the most part. I've had issues with fellow photogs before, and have had no problem chatting in a respectful way with them. Am I perfect in the water? No. I think as a photographer we tend to get as close as possible to the subject and tend to stay closer to the bottom on shallower non-wall dives than most non-photogs. That being said, we should be extra careful with our bouyancy, and finning. No ones perfect... but as long as we're aware and mindful we've won half the battle. To lump us all into the Bad diver category isn't fair. As for the OP, I would have complained to the dive OP after the first bad dive, if you thought talking to the offenders wasn't a viable option.

My wife and I were at SCC the first week of December. We did not dive with the older divers from Bishop, but I know who you are speaking about. On the other end of the age scale, there was a male in his early 30's who had a very expensive camera setup who thinks he is "Joe Dive Photographer". He hogged the views, especially on one night dive late in the week. It was very irritating to me. Karma prevailed, however. We did the trip down to dive Devil's Throat, where Joe Dive Photographer giant strided off the boat with all of his camera gear, but without his fins.

PhotoHogs and the Lookie Loo's 😜!!!

Do enjoy taking pictures or critter watching.
Don't forget there are other people on the dive.

Do enjoy first dibs on a critter YOU find or came upon first
Don't hog it. Take the photo or look and move on.

Do understand you are not the only person on a group dive.
Don't push your way in. Hang back and wait your turn.

Do share your find with others.
Don't keep a critter sighting to yourself only to brag about it later

Do practice good buoyancy. Strive to be properly weighted and streamline gear.
Don't hit, hang on, touch the reef, sand or critters.

Do get your look see or photo op without disturbing the critters.
Don't torment or frighten the critters away. Other divers would enjoy seeing it too !

Do take your time, go slow.
Don't Rush ! Set up your camera or viewing angle ahead of time.
Think about your approach ahead of time so you do 't hit the reef or scare away the critter.

Do enjoy the Divemaster who spots and points out critters
Don't forget there are other divers in your group. Share and share alike.

Do learn how to use your photograph equipment and be careful of where you are pointing the strobes.
Don't shine the lights in the faces of fellow divers.

Are there more Do's & Don'ts to add to the list ?

I was a t hotel Cozumel in December and saw a group come in to fill out paperwork. There was a middle age lady with them who said she had never done an ocean dive. All she was worried about was making sure her camera worked. I was so glad I wasn't on their boat. I don't take pictures but have seen many grab the reef to take a picture and muscle their way in. I just stay away.

It's not limited to non-professionals, unfortunately. I had the 'privilege' of diving with a well-known videographer in the BVI. He did everything from laying on the reef, standing on coral, grabbing anything within reach, and generally being a complete fool every dive. And this is a guy with a large portfolio of published DVDs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom