Bad memory? O2 Clean required for less than 40% nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YOU are the one who shoulders the burden to provide proof, not anyone else. YOU are the one making the anecdotal claims without providing sufficient evidence to back it up. YOU are more than welcome to collect your data and aggregate it in such a way to keep the information 100% in tact and succinct enough to prove your claims.

We await your findings of these incidences, and the number of said incidences, that have a sound scientific conclusion stating the cause of the incident was related to filling a cylinder with banked EAN between 23.5% - 40% concentrations (with proof beforehand that the bank was measured no greater than 40%, not a tenth of a percent more either), and that no other factors contributed to the incident. This doesn't mean a "reasonable conclusion", which in the scientific world means you likely cannot reproduce the problem in a controlled environment given the conditions present at the time of the incident.

Also, it will not suffice to provide incidents involving PVHOs, humans don't live inside the SCUBA tank, so evidence regarding PVHOs would not be considered in scope. Once again, I'm not trying to say one shouldn't "O2 clean" their tanks, I still do it anyways because I never know when I may require a partial pressure fill, so I keep my equipment ready.

YOU are the one who shoulders the burden to provide proof, not anyone else. YOU are the one making the anecdotal claims without providing sufficient evidence to back it up. YOU are more than welcome to collect your data and aggregate it in such a way to keep the information 100% in tact and succinct enough to prove your claims.

You have no clue as to what you are posting ... you are the one wanting to changes the regs not me. As such, it is incumbent on you to show that the current regs are not in line.

I am done here.

You have no clue as to what you are posting ... you are the one wanting to changes the regs not me. As such, it is incumbent on you to show that the current regs are not in line.

I am done here.

I am arguing only that there have been no documented incidents from filling banked Nitrox < 40% into non-O2 clean tanks. I couldn’t care less about the regs. They are what they are. They also happen to be ridiculous.

I am done here.

No, you are the one making anecdotal claims of incidents regarding filling a tank with banked EAN up to 40%, prove it. I have never mentioned changing the regulations of the CGA, I am aware SCUBA is but a blip on their radar. If a shop has an insurance policy that states they require O2 cleaning for mixes greater than 23.5%, so be it. Like I said in my previous post, I always have my tanks O2 serviced in the event I can only get a partial pressure fill, but I also don't believe it should be "my way or the highway" either. Whether or not this impacts the shops profit margins is of zero concern to me, I don't care about their solvency as a business, once shuts down and another one opens, the ones who stay around follow accepted practices that doesn't drive away customers. Insurance companies are a dime a dozen, all of them are trash in the end anyways, and its likely very much a profit center for the dive shop anyways, since some people will just succumb to their demands.

Have YOU ever sat on a standards governing body or been consulted on setting a standards before? If so, you would know niche/small groups who may have an interest in changing something about the standard, even with sound evidence to support it, are never heard because the overall majority rules as standards are meant to be a blanket covering the masses.

Once again, I know the regulations won't change, been on governing bodies and been consulted on standards to know the niche markets just aren't considered unless there exists hard evidence these niche markets have had catastrophic, life threatening or life ending, results related to not following the standards, it is very clear that this is not the case for the SCUBA industry. In fact, I applaud the SCUBA industry for not needlessly sticking their head up and shouting for a "change" in some, very likely, archaic 'standard' as the industry has done very well at keeping the scum and inefficiencies of the government out of the sport, there is a lot of choice in SCUBA, bringing government into anything the private sector already does well just turns it into a sh!tshow.

You say you're done because others won't blindly follow your anecdotes which are incredibly contrary to the overall practices that have been ongoing, and will continue long after you're finally deceased. I understand, it is frustrating when people don't blindly follow someone without evidence, I see this behavior a lot.

Can you slow down the typing dude I can't read that fast

LOL, when I type on my DAS keyboard for work and I forget to mute myself on calls, people think I'm typing a strongly worded email, when its just how fast I type. That comment made me laugh

Mate I'm happy-diver the one fingered typist, my quips are supposed to make people laugh

Did you lose your other fingers feeding a Moray eel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom