Bad memory? O2 Clean required for less than 40% nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well dive shop A has proven to be underwhelming again. They didn’t even want to VIP my LP72 that we agreed was to be for air only, offering instead to put on a sticker that stated not for scuba instead, as it was still in hydro. This is the 23.5% rule shop. I insisted that they do the VIP as agreed upon, so we’ll see what happened when I pick it up. I should have paid attention when I took classes there a few years ago. They had a dive museum of “obsolete” gear which included a backplate with intact harness, some shiny conshelf and Scubapro second stages, old cameras, horse collars, and other flotsam. They must have thought the tank I dropped off to them was for paintball and tires.

Well dive shop A has proven to be underwhelming again. They didn’t even want to VIP my LP72 that we agreed was to be for air only, offering instead to put on a sticker that stated not for scuba instead, as it was still in hydro. They must have thought the tank I dropped off to them was for paintball and tires.

Please post a pic of this "not for scuba" sticker. Never seen one. Ask them what criteria they use to determine this please...

Well dive shop A has proven to be underwhelming again. They didn’t even want to VIP my LP72 that we agreed was to be for air only, offering instead to put on a sticker that stated not for scuba instead, as it was still in hydro. This is the 23.5% rule shop. I insisted that they do the VIP as agreed upon, so we’ll see what happened when I pick it up. I should have paid attention when I took classes there a few years ago. They had a dive museum of “obsolete” gear which included a backplate with intact harness, some shiny conshelf and Scubapro second stages, old cameras, horse collars, and other flotsam. They must have thought the tank I dropped off to them was for paintball and tires.

In Jupiter, FL?

Can someone please explain how a dive shop requiring O2 clean for any nitrox fill verifies a tank and valve stays O2 clean as soon as the tank walks out the door after they've O2 cleaned and filled it? If I go dive my tank right after walking out the door, get it filled anywhere else with banked (or membrane or stick) nitrox on a regular compressor, by definition it's technically no longer O2 clean, is it? Then when I come back in to the shop that did the O2 cleaning for my next fill, are they going to sell me another O2 cleaning first?

Even if CGA requirements say 23.5%, both NOAA and OSAH say 40%. In the NOAA Diving Standards & Safety Manual (see http://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/NDSSM Final_041217.pdf), it says:
A. Equipment used with gases containing over 40 percent oxygen by volume shall be designed for or adapted for oxygen service.
B. Prior to use, all components exposed to gas mixtures containing greater than 40 percent oxygen by volume shall be cleaned of combustible materials according to CGA 4.1 standards

Can someone please explain how a dive shop requiring O2 clean for any nitrox fill verifies a tank and valve stays O2 clean as soon as the tank walks out the door after they've O2 cleaned and filled it? If I go dive my tank right after walking out the door, get it filled anywhere else with banked (or membrane or stick) nitrox on a regular compressor, by definition it's technically no longer O2 clean, is it? Then when I come back in to the shop that did the O2 cleaning for my next fill, are they going to sell me another O2 cleaning first?

Even if CGA requirements say 23.5%, both NOAA and OSAH say 40%. In the NOAA Diving Standards & Safety Manual (see http://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/NDSSM Final_041217.pdf), it says:
A. Equipment used with gases containing over 40 percent oxygen by volume shall be designed for or adapted for oxygen service.
B. Prior to use, all components exposed to gas mixtures containing greater than 40 percent oxygen by volume shall be cleaned of combustible materials according to CGA 4.1 standards
The updated version is at https://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/documents/NDSSM Rev 05 May 2020.pdf

Please post a pic of this "not for scuba" sticker. Never seen one. Ask them what criteria they use to determine this please...

They are probably referring to this decal. I’ve seen it marketed to paint ballers, etc to allow them to get fills from dive shops that require a cert card for a fill.

Haven't actually seen a tank with this decal on it though.

Attachments

• 4CFB9640-BB18-4BDC-AC58-60627B2F5ED4.jpeg
    4CFB9640-BB18-4BDC-AC58-60627B2F5ED4.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 59
They are probably referring to this decal. I’ve seen it marketed to paint ballers, etc to allow them to get fills from dive shops that require a cert card for a fill.

Haven't actually seen a tank with this decal on it though.

Or as the manager of my last LDS said, I can tell a paintballer before they get through the door.

They can't.

Back
Top Bottom