Bad Leg Cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramon6249

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm sure this has been asked many times before,

I am a very "casual" diver. once or twice a year at most. Last year I did a shore dive off of California and had very bad cramps in my calf, where I could not even kick without stopping and stretching my leg by pulling my fins. At the time I wrote it off to never diving the cold water.

I have a trip in August to Puerto Rico and would like to try the diving down there. I took a few dives in a pool, just to re-familiarize myself with my gear and make sure everything was working properly. I did get the cramp in my calf again, and this time I had a cramp in the arch of my foot as well.

I have large enough booties ( snug but not tight ) and I have XL split fins which I have used for years. The heel strap I have always wondered if that should be tight, or loose?

Is there anything I can do to help with these cramps?

Scuba is a sport so it is wise to treat it as such especially if you don't do it frequently. Shore diving in California can be very strenuous. Boat diving in Puerto Rico won't be as strenuous. Try doing some stretches before and after the dive. Eat some bananas. Stay hydrated. Relax more. Cramps can also be handled underwater with help from a buddy like you learned in OW class but better to deal with it before.

Have fun!

Besides the advice above, also consider developing a basic frog kick. It is really nice to use a different set of muscles when cramps hit you.

A few suggestions... First, hydrate! Dehydration is one of the biggest causes of cramps, so drink up.. Avoid caffeine. Try eating potassium rich foods, such as bananas the night before and/or morning of the dives.

Maybe your dive shop will let you try out different fins in the pool to see if something works better for you, so give that a shot. Good luck :)

Usually second dive for me that the cramps would show if they were going to. Would add.. Bananas give me the poops so I switched to OTC Potassium & Magnesium tablets. Taken with plenty of water. Over tight restrictive wetsuit in cold water will almost always give me cramps no matter what I did. Once I went dry and warm never had the problem again.

Sigh. Once again, I will say that, in the absence of a wasting illness (vomiting, diarrhea, or kidney dysfunction) there is enough potassium in anybody's diet to keep potassium normal, so long as you are not on any medications. Potassium deficiency is NOT the cause of typical diver's cramps.

HERE you will find two good articles on muscle cramps, and strategies for minimizing them. I agree that lack of being accustomed to the exertion and resistance of kicking with fins is the cause of most cramps, and improving calf muscle fitness and flexibility is the best approach to minimize them.

Sigh. Once again, I will say that, in the absence of a wasting illness (vomiting, diarrhea, or kidney dysfunction) there is enough potassium in anybody's diet to keep potassium normal, so long as you are not on any medications. Potassium deficiency is NOT the cause of typical diver's cramps.

HERE you will find two good articles on muscle cramps, and strategies for minimizing them. I agree that lack of being accustomed to the exertion and resistance of kicking with fins is the cause of most cramps, and improving calf muscle fitness and flexibility is the best approach to minimize them.

Its ok to sigh.. Some of us do need supplements. Thank you for clarifying.

Another point to consider, based in my own experience, is that on the day you dive you have slept very little time, got up in the morning very early and/or you are tired of a long journey, surelly calf cramps will show up. If you are cold in the water, also can contribute to cramps.
Besides, you should learn to anticipate to cramps. You surely notice when it's coming. Relax the muscle before the cramp hits. Change the way you kick, using your muscles in a different way.
And, of course, as TS&M mentioned, stay fit for the diving activity.

The simple answer is to work out prior to the trip, and stay hydrated. It may be a bit late for that, but the best time to start an exercise routine is NOW! :D

I'd start with stretching and a light calf workout. Staying hydrated is also something you can work on now.

Have fun on the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom