Bad Gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was a bit concerned this morning when I noticed that my gas had a peculiar odor to it. It was actually my buddy that noticed it and pointed it out to me. It left a faint brown stain on white cotton when I pressed it against the orifice and blasted out a few shots.

Sounds like you've got a solid buddy there. Have no idea on the gas, but sure am looking forward to hearing/seeing what more experienced people have to say.

Any odor is a bad sign. Report it to the fill station and dump the gas. You very well may need to have the cylinder internally cleaned.

Depending upon the exact color of any residue, you might have some idea of what the contaminant(s) is/are. A brown to black could come from hydrocarbon contamination most commonly from oil coming out of the compressor. Reddish residue may be rust and should result in a new vis.

You should never dive a cylinder with an odd odor or taste. Remember that just after regulator servicing you may have a slight taste of lubricant residue and that is a different issue.

... wait for it... wait for it...

Must not loose it..........

Um, you are talking about breathing gas and the oriface on the tank valve, aren't you?

If that is so then Drew is right.

Take the tank back to the fill station and get it checked. That is both the tank and the fill station need to be checked.

Now if my assumption is wrong then you need to talk to a different fill station. :eyebrow:

Happens all the time in this neck of the woods, and it's usually my wife that notices it first. I just blame her, since she's the one that makes sure the tanks get filled :eyebrow:

Drew hit it right on, one other potential cause of contamination (seems to be more common with smaller portable units that do not always keep the purification chamber charged, or are set up for manual dump and the operator bleeds to fast leading to excess condensation in the chamber) is breakdown of the charcoal portion of the filtration system. This results in a nasty black residue on the associated equipment and if dove (yes I have seen it) nasty black mucus.

This condition looks far worse than the others mentioned but it is worth reading up on lipid pnuemonia for anything suspected of hydrocarbon contamination...

Good catch checking your gear out, could you describe the smell at all.

Jeff Lane

P.S. you know you owe your buddy some beer on this one, let us know what kind you get!

gfisher4792:
Maybe you should stop eating too much Mexican food.....

Damn... I walked right into that one... :cwmddd:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom