bad experience, first night dive shore entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess if you look at your depth gauge, and it reads 10ft, you may want to begin to wonder about you nav if you expect a boat to pick you up???

Treat the DM as a regular dive buddy, and discuss the plan with him. If he doesn't comply, knock him behind the head with your spare 19cft pony bottle.

ShakaZulu:
If he doesn't comply, knock him behind the head with your spare 19cft pony bottle.

You do that too? I thought I was the only one!! :bash:

Charlie99:
There's something missing here. Why an "exit point" for a boat pickup?

I have a hard time imagining a situation where going into shore in large surf is preferable to swimming back out and getting a boat pickup.

Is there more to the story, such as one of the divers in the group panicing and heading to shore, which forced the DM and the rest of the group to follow?

Perhaps somebody out of air and not able to or willing to swim out on the surface or wait for a boat pickup?

Please help us understand better so we can avoid the same sort of problem.

we in fact followed the dm into shore, as heading out back against the waves towards the boat did not seem like an option. he told us to take of our fins and head to shore, i had no choice at this point. we were waist deep in water, i even had to attend to my girlfriend who was panicking, for a split second we were all alone having to fend for ourselves.

Ben_ca:
I think there is plenty of blame to pass around if you want to look at it that way... "Trust me" dives are dangerouse because they lull some people into a false sense of security (and trust).

Glad to hear that there was no permanent damage.

i guess you are right, this was a trust me dive and the darn dm dint know what he was doing, he acted irresponsible and could have gotten us into serious trouble. i swear how can these people get certified?

Back
Top Bottom