Bad experience at International Scuba Academy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaxjags64109

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The LDS I used to get certified has closed (I assume for economic reasons) and I was looking for a new shop to do business with and get my regs serviced for the upcoming dive season. On 1/22/09 I brought my regs to International Scuba Academy in Gladstone, Missouri. I was told verbally that the service would take about 3 weeks and cost would be $99 (approx.) by the owner of the shop. I informed the owner that I had a dive planned on 2/28/09 and was told that would not be a problem. The work order reciept I was provided showed a promised date of 2/26/09 and estimated cost at $99. On 2/24/09 I made my first call to enquire about a pick-up date. The phone number was disconnected but a new number was provided and I was able to leave a message at the new number. No call back on 2/24/09 or 2/25/09. I called again left another message, again no return call on 2/26/09. On 2/27/09 I went to where the store front shop was located on 1/22/09, shop closed and is now a food market. I left messages at the only number I had to no avail until about 7pm on 2/27/09. This is the first contact I have had from the shop owner since 1/22/09 and he left a message stating my regs would probably arrive sometime next week. No explanation for the delay was offered. On 3/4/09 I started the call, leave message, no return call routine again. I finally threatened legal action on 3/6/09 and that prompted a return call on the evening of 3/6/09 my regs were available for pick-up the cost increased to $154 (a 50% increase over the estimate) with no explanation.

I was told by the shop owner when I expressed my dissatisfaction with the lack of service the shop owner said, "you just can't please some people." When I picked up my regs I was told that my octo had a cracked housing and the housing had to be ordered slowing down the service. I paid the cost and got my regs back and at this point I just want to put the experience behind me, find a reputable LDS, and warn other divers about this particular shop as it appears that they remain in business through the internet. A simple phone call would have avoided this entire situation and would have likely resulted in my renting some regs from the shop for my scheduled dive if I had just recieved a minimum amount of service explaining the delay. As divers we will potetially spend a lot of money with an LDS and for that potential business I believe we should expect at least some basic courtesy of being informed of delays in service, increase in costs, and return phone calls within 24-36 hours.

Experience can be a painful teacher, but think of the help that you've provided numerous divers by posting here on ScubaBoard.

Yours is not an uncommon experience, unfortunately, and you'll read many examples of it here on the Board.

Thank you for joining our family and we hope you become a faithful and valuable member of our family.

And may I wish you, as always . . .

Safe dives . . . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents !!!

The Kraken

I live up North of the river near Gladstone but I still find it worth while to drive to Skin and Scuba on 35th next to 40 highway near the Stadiums. They've been in business for several decades and are very honest. They have great instructors too.

Skinnscuba.com

Back
Top Bottom