Bad day in south centeral Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I'm not trying to hijack the thread, honest, but I can offer a story that will show the effects of an infant death, PSD or not."

What would make you think your hijacking the thread?

The only thing different is it wasn’t a dive.

It just goes to show the tragedy we deal with, how it affects us and how very important it is to get rid of it. The best way to get rid of it is debriefing.

Unfortunately tragedy doesn’t just affect the initial victim. Everyone huddles around friends and family consoling them about whatever the tragedy was about. Left out in the cold more often than not are the rescue/recovery people whoever they might be, divers or not.

Sure it’s our job but we are just as human as the next person is. We have emotions; feelings and hidden thoughts just like everyone else. After a tragic incident those emotions, feelings and hidden thoughts need to be re-aliened.

If you throw your back out what do you do but go to the bone Doc and get it re-aliened. We need to do the same thing with your head. If not the toll it takes can be worse than the original incident itself.

There is always help out there but some times Admin is just unwilling to spend the money to get it. My department is great in this area. Get help, nomatter what it takes or costs.

Natasha, Thank you for getting us together with this PSD section. You have done more good here than you will ever know.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Natasha, Thank you for getting us together with this PSD section. You have done more good here than you will ever know.

Gary D.

Awe, thank you for the kind words. I'm only a 'switch puller' here. Glad I could help.

It's you guys/gals that 'do more good then you will ever know'. I appreciate you very much, and just never had the opportunity to say it until now.

God Bless you all!!!!!!

I do hope this site helps. When we talked about establishing it, it does help to talk (or post).

Public Service does take it's toll on the participants and unfortunately, a part of it is a natural defense mechanism to become cold towards death. In 27 years with the fire service, I have made many accidents, ambulance trips, fires where I have seen children to senior citizens die. It is hard at times to cope, particularly when children are involved. What affected me the worst was we had lost a firefighter in a building. My company was called for the search effort, and building conditions kept pushing my training telling me to back out of the situation. My mind kept telling me that "if it were me, I would want someone to try" so I pushed on. Well, I and another firefighter found him, but too late. Through talking with people, I learned more about the timeframe and realized, the first time I went into that building it was too late. I backed away from the fire service for about 4 years as a result of that call. My son is now a volunteer and I went back to insure he receives the proper training and guidance to protect him.

Talking helps, and so will posting. Thanks Natasha!

Dan

Actually Natasha, it did help. I never talk about it, So I suppose it was due a release.

Tao of the Dive:
Actually Natasha, it did help. I never talk about it, So I suppose it was due a release.

Tao of the Dive:
That's great! Makes it all worth it. We're always here for you.

Dan:
We're just happy we can help the dive community in anyway possible here.
Good forum thanks for participating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom