Bacteria?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwashbur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw a sign at the top of the steps on the breakwater the other say saying that bacteria levels in the water were high and going in was not recommended. Anybody know anything aobut that? It sure doesn't seem to have slowed the diving community any...

That's why I chum the waters with a 5-gallon drum of liquid Dial before I go in. It makes it easier to photograph those rare fish and inverts from the surface too!

That health advisory has been up for over a week. Here's the link to update. It looks all clear.
http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/health/beaches/

It depends on if the test is for coliforms or more specific fecal coliforms or enterocuccus.

In some areas if there is a sewage overflow or tidal/current problem (sewage not going out to sea but coming into shore) there may be high counts.

I've seen some signs also at Stillwater, Santa Cruz, and Marin this past year or so.

It gives the explanation of indicator organism while not indicative of disease causing organisms can indicate the presence of human waste.

Birds and other animals have coliform bacteria in their poop.

If some ducks poop and the laboratory samples downstream or nearby it gets a positive reading.

Last edited:
i was at san carlos beach last week, saw the signs you mentioned, and called the number on the sign. the health department answered and when i told them i was planning to dive, they transfered me to an inspector. they guy i talked to was very helpful, and tried to convey the relevant information in layman's terms (as requested). one of several items they measure (fecal coliforms) was 150 (ppm?) vs the limit of ~104 (ppm?). everything else was well below established thresholds. i asked if there had been a sewage spill, and got a soft 'no' (nothing confirmed), and an equally soft 'this happens when the waters are so calm, so we don't yet know they reason for this reading'.

i ran into a few local divers on the beach and asked if there had been a spill, figuring it would be in the local news, and got a clear 'no news of a sewage spill'.

i made the decision to dive anyway, but take extra care to wash up afterwards. the vis was 30'+ along the end of the coast guard pier so it was worth it to me.

moral of the story: check the link provided by cmburch, or call the health department and talk to an inspector to get the lastest. the folks i talked to were very helpful and courteous, especially when i said i drove down to dive.

Back
Top Bottom