Backup SD cards to usb sticks or external HDD without computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

see if I can copy files from my TG5 to my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet
A USB-OTG cable will allow this as long as your camera supports mass storage, mtp, or ptp. Otherwise, attach a small USB hub to the OTG cable and use a card reader and the file manager to put the files wherever you want. (I have the original Shield Tablet)

I think the multiple SD cards is the best idea though.

I find an important part of the learning curve is the immediate feedback you get on a multi-day/dive outing. By the time I get home there is simply too much data to remember and sort out. You may have the pix, but you sure aren't going to have the same ability to figure out what you did, and what you might want to do differently.

Considering the wieght & cost of an extra HDD , sticks, etc ........I just purchase additional sd cards and when my pictures get half way thru a trip or full, I just remove the sd card and stow it in a plastic bag and put a fresh sd card in the camera. Additional sd cards also have the advantage of if one of them can't be "read" by the camera,,you have a backup plan with your additional sd cards. When I get home with 2,3,4 sd cards, I copy immediately to my desktop and then start working on them.

From a cost ,,weight,,& backup plan perspective,,,You really come out ahead in the long run. And who wouldn't want extra SD cards for the future?
Hello,

How do you guys back up your sd cards during your trips?

I have a usb SD card reader and I can bring with me some usb sticks and/or a usb external HDD, but I won't bring a laptop. Last time I relied on fellow divers who had a laptop and they were kind enough to let me use it for the transfer, but are there any alternatives?

Thanks
so, intend to lose micro sd like no ones business and sturglled with the same thing about lugging my laptop around.

I got myself one of these. It's handy, plugs into my portable 1tb drive, doesn't weigh much and becomes a mini router too! With the app, I move stuff over from not only sd, but phone too.

For the price of one 64gb sd, it saves time and in my case, a little bit of money too!

That exactly what I was looking for. A bit pricey though but thanks for the info!!
Note sure how much they're going for in Greece, but the G3 is going for £49.64 on amazon for me. If it's that much more expensive there, and you're looking for one, I can try track down one that's cheaper and sort something out to get it over to you.

I picked mine up when I went to Sardinia a few years back and was snorkelling for hours at a time. At the end of day two, I'd used up all my memory and the cheapest and easiest way was this option.

It was and still is for me a safer alternative. I'm crazy foolish in how much data I take up with photo and video (and also in how many I lose. I put them in a safe place and can never remember where that is) Underwater it's all new to me, so I film everything!

I've still not gone through all of the stuff!! From that trip or any other for that matter. Never seem to have the time.

Same price here. I think the problem is that the battery, the wifi etc are not of much use to me, while they add to the price. £50 to copy files between usb devices sounds a bit too much for me. Another idea I got from another forum is to use raspberry pi or similar devices - I have one that I could bring with me if I find a way to use it headless (without screen) - maybe with remote connection using my mobile. I'm looking at it right now...
Thanks anyway

Same price here. I think the problem is that the battery, the wifi etc are not of much use to me, while they add to the price. £50 to copy files between usb devices sounds a bit too much for me. Another idea I got from another forum is to use raspberry pi or similar devices - I have one that I could bring with me if I find a way to use it headless (without screen) - maybe with remote connection using my mobile. I'm looking at it right now...
Thanks anyway
Yes, you can create an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network and ssh into the Pi with your phone (or attach a small screen directly). Card readers can be plugged directly into the device. It's a cool, geeky idea, but I think I'd still prefer multiple SD cards for simplicity.

I couldn't imagine travelling without a laptop. I like to look over the images after each day to see where I've screwed up. I normally can't always tell looking at the small screen on the camera. Never mind the fact that an SD card is so small and easy to lose, There's no shortage of lightweight options like Ultrabooks, MS surface, macbook air etc that are easy to travel with.

Same here. I would have a laptop no matter what. The fact that I can copy pics off of a memory card is just a bonus.

If you bring a cell phone when you travel, You can connect a full size SD card reader to the USB port on android phones. If your camera uses microSD then you can just put the card from your camera right in your phone's microSD slot. You could copy the photos to your phone's internal storage then later move them to your phone's regular microSD card to free up the internal storage if needed.

Apple might be more limited, I don't think they have integrated SD card slots yet. That means you'll be stuck using the internal storage if you copy the photos to your Apple phone.

Last edited:
The Kingston device looks like an OTG hub. That is, you'd still need a phone or tablet with an OTG-USB socket, which allows OTG devices to be plugged in as read/write media. And then, you'd have to check the USB speed level for everything involved. If it is USB 2.0 or below, copying files even on fast media may wind up taking HOURS. USB3 will be 10x faster, but it is still possible to have media that just take a long time, as opposed to a native SD card reader operating at faster speeds.

The Kingston device looks like an OTG hub. That is, you'd still need a phone or tablet with an OTG-USB socket, which allows OTG devices to be plugged in as read/write media. And then, you'd have to check the USB speed level for everything involved. If it is USB 2.0 or below, copying files even on fast media may wind up taking HOURS. USB3 will be 10x faster, but it is still possible to have media that just take a long time, as opposed to a native SD card reader operating at faster speeds.
I guess it's possible it won't work with EXTREMELY old phones. I've used an OTG device like that (different brand) on an old Galaxy s4 (2013). You just plug it into the usb port on the phone and stick the memory card in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom