backup regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In JJ's book, it says to use a high performance reg as your primary, and an unbalanced reg for your backup. Why wouldnt you want two high performance regs instead of one?

Jorbar1551:
In JJ's book, it says to use a high performance reg as your primary, and an unbalanced reg for your backup. Why wouldnt you want two high performance regs instead of one?

High performance regulators are very sensitive. A slight change in pressure from a current surge, change in depth or change in the position of the regulator can result in a free flow. Unbalanced regulators tend to be more stable. Some unbalanced regulators, also, are nearly as good in performance as the so-called high performance regs.

I used high performance regs as primary and backup, never thing about unbalanced as my back up.
Why I need unbalanced regulator?

Jason

If I recall correctly, all of my GUE instructors used the same reg for primary and backup, they just "detuned" the backup by twisting the little knob on the side.

TSandM's story is exactly why I use an H-valve.

PfcAJ:
If I recall correctly, all of my GUE instructors used the same reg for primary and backup, they just "detuned" the backup by twisting the little knob on the side.

TSandM's story is exactly why I use an H-valve.

Agree on the H-valve. And, in real diving, I take a pony.

Height performance primary and backup regs is good for you and team buddies in any emergency circumstances, such as technical problem free flow, need backup replace your primary in any depth.

H Valve is advantages, but seldom sees in Asia

daniel f aleman:
Agree on the H-valve. And, in real diving, I take a pony.

Like TSM posted the high performance regs are not as simple as the unbalanced regulators and may freeflow more often. The unbalanced are generally bulletproof. In my experience the scubapro R390 breathes extremely well... now it is not as nice looking and does not have all the gadgets the S600 does, but it works and it is there when I need it.

-V

im about to buy a back reg myself i was told to buy at least the same reg as my main or better
i can trun my b2 so its all most off still think a unbalanced reg would be better then that??

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom