backup reg necklace questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedariolama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Couple of quick questions maybe someone can advise me on.

I want to rig my backup reg on a necklace - what length of bungee should I use for the necklace? Also what hose length? Right now I have it on a 34" hose...going to test that out, but thinking I'm gonna be a tad long there...

any suggestions would be great, thank you!

For the average size person / necklace I usually cut the bungee @ 39in. That seems to be a long enough length to tie your knots and have the reg. hang within an inch or so of your chin. As for hose length; I think the alternate is on a 36 inch hose. Sorry, I don't have one in front of me to measure at the moment.

If you are donating the primary, and hanging the backup on a necklace, the necklace reg should be on a standard 24" or shorter. You can often use a 22" in a single tank setup; doubles usually need a bit more, since the left post is off-center.

I don't have a measurement on the bungie, but you want the regulator hanging just below your chin, and not over your dry suit inflator (or at mid-chest, if you aren't using a dry suit). Some people say you should have the regulator where you can pick it up without your hands. Mine are not that short.

I was getting mine sized up today. Sit your reg with the mouthpiece about on where your collar bones is the end (I think those are the right names), move it down about an inch and you want to size the bungie about that length. This should account for expose protection moving it forward etc. (and hopefully I haven't gotten it too wrong :p)

Single tank I use 22" and 24" for doubles (same as TSandM mentioned above) when I use a bungee backup & long hose. Definitely suggest you do not use anything much longer else you'll have a huge loop of extra hose doing nothing good. The bugnee backup should not go down and under your armpit...it goes simply around your neck from the 1st stage.

Your bungee length depends on you. Just get a length of it and set it up to your preference. Mine hangs about 1/2 way between my chest and chin..I can reach it with my mouth if I really try, but I usually just use my hand. I don't like it closer than that.

Mine's on a 22" hose, but it's a bit tight. I can't really turn my head too far to the left if I'm breathing off of my alternate. If I had to do it again, I'd use a 24" hose.

Mine's on a 22" hose, but it's a bit tight. I can't really turn my head too far to the left if I'm breathing off of my alternate. If I had to do it again, I'd use a 24" hose.

This reminds me of something else. The hose length can also depend on what 1st stage reg you have, how you orient it (eg up or down), and where your tank(s) sit relative to your head. There isn't a set length that works for all divers.

does anyone have a good source on bungee cord for the necklace?

Back
Top Bottom