backup light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiabloBlanco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for a backup light and would love some input, thinking about the Halcyon scout LED. 2 or 3 cell not sure which. Anyone have an opinion or use these lights? Are they worth the $ ?
Anyone have one they want to sell or suggestions on a different backup light?
Thanks
J

+1 for the Intova Ultra Nova... 220 lumens... *bright* sob!

I use the new Hollis LED5. I compared it against the 3w scout in the shop and it blew it away. Still 3 c cell with twist activation. it has an aluminum body which feels stronger and here's the best part...only 100 bucks. I also compared it to my hesser which is worth nearly 3 times that and the Hollis is still brighter.

I have the Intova Nova. Great light too. Got it for well under $100 at LDS!

If you travel, keep in mind accessibility to spare parts & batteries. One of the bulbs in my old B/U light blew while diving on an extended trip in the Philippines. It was very easy to find Halcyon replacement parts and impossible to find my bulb. The batteries for those lights were also challenging and very expensive to replace when traveling abroad.

I now dive Halcyon Scouts with C Cell batteries.

awesome point kathy, which is another driving factor for the penetrators...(dorcy)
they run off 6 AAA or 4 AAA ... and are a single LED (almost bullet proof) oh yeah and at 220 lumen and under $40? you can buy 2 or even three for less than a halcyon .... and finally, if you decide to rig them against your shoulder d-rings, they lie flatter and keep you more trim since the diameter is far less than the halcyons ... truly a no brainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom