Backup Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let me start by saying, I'm a new diver. I've got 18 on my log and I'm not making assumptions but rather trying to gather input on the right way to go.

So I went and bought an expensive hoseless air integrated computer last weekend (Galileo Luna). I haven't had it in the water yet as my next dive is this coming weekend. I had hoped to eliminate the gauge hose with it. The shop that certified me provided a reg setup with only a wisdom 2 - I wanted to go the extra step and eliminate that hose. However... I've seen lots of posts saying this is a bad idea, most recently this one.

My question is what's the best I can do to minimize clutter and still dive safely? Will a mini pressure gauge bungeed to the tank and a small clip on spg fit the bill? Is there a less cluttering option?

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm planning to get a bp/w this week before my next dive (also in an attempt to minimize clutter). I doubt that's a factor here, but just in case; that's what I'll be using.

As for the type of diving right now, just easy sightseeing dives. This fall I plan to take the advanced classes. Hopefully I'll get to 40 or more before that time comes. In the coming years I hope to do deeper dives, perhaps wreck penetrations - but I don't see caving in my future. I'm trying to put together gear I'm not likely to want to replace anytime soon.

I have been doing dive plans using the NAUI air (or nitrox) tables. I'll continue to do that, although if I follow the computer it's my understanding it won't work out exactly the same as my plan.

Unfortunately going with more advanced features also increases risk of failure (ie. wireless/ hose-less transmitter) so backup devices are a good idea- the determination however really I think lays in what information you want displayed. You can prepare for computer failure in the air department (since the computer is wireless this is the more likely situation granted it might just fail transmitting signal and the computers depth, timer and temperature keeper could still work), or for time and depth. As far as air is concerned a small attachable SPG might be the solution but again, as you realize there are no complete solutions to utter failure that include no hoses.

I would never trust a transmitter as my only pressure gauge. I don't see the point in them full stop. A single SPG on a HP hose is all you need. If I did have a transmitter, It would be in conjunction with a normal SPG.

The guy in the link sounds like a grade A ****-knuckle.

IMO, you don't need the backup SPG while you're diving: if your computer stops displaying tank pressure, rather than losing and then reestablishing the signal, it's a suspect piece of electronics on which you shouldn't rely until you check it out topside and confirm the transmitter is to blame and the computer can be trusted. At that point you're terminating the dive and ascending, for which an spg is irrelevant. Unless you're also diving a backup computer to go with the backup spg...but at that point, why bother with the AI at all?

I'd pack a spare battery kit for the transmitter and/or a wrench and full spg/hose setup, so you can get a working rig set up for the next dive in the event of a transmitter failure.

But if you're interested in moving into more advanced diving and investing in gear you won't have to replace, I'd suggest ditching the AI transmitter in favor of a 24" HP hose with a brass and glass spg on it, clipped off to your left hip D ring on the bp/w. It's simple, it works, and you won't have to alter it for more advanced diving. The only difference is that your air pressure requires you to look down and back, rather than at your wrist...nbd, IMO.

At that point you're terminating the dive and ascending, for which an spg is irrelevant.
If you just checked your gauge when it stopped working and say 5 minutes have gone by and you consume an awkward amount of air due to some event and your gauge is lower than you thought it was, this could be helpful- some sort of redundant backup is never a terrible thing the riskier you get because it helps prioritize safety/ steps on a deco dive. Even with the knowledge and planning that I will be safe if I end a dive before I end it on my own will, I personally like having that redundant information for my own sanity- the more I can tell about a situation the less inclined I'll be to lose my cool. I'd like to say I could keep it but having never "been there" I can't say for certain.

However, I really don't think redundant equipment like gauges becomes a large deal unless you're doing penetrative diving, solo diving or the ends of NDL/ deco dives. Between you and your buddy 3 regulators should never fail, 2 computers or SPGs, etc all at the same time, so long as you can easily make it to the surface safely pending your profile, I'd be inclined to be "reckless" because if the odds hit you, its still not necessarily life threatening.

During my last dive trip, one person had his air/depth on his computer only. The computer was dying, so he couldn't safely dive anymore without getting hose-connected gauges.

I myself don't really like transmitters. I think a hose-connected SPG is simple and effective.

The only redundant gauge I have is a depth gauge. It's really not that necessary, but I know if my computer died, I could still dive safely using the tables.

I dive OW with redundant gauges.
I do not use integrated computers but rather wrist mounted.
I have a 24 inch hose with a simple brass and glass SPG.

I did not start out that way but as my dives grew in depth and time it became necessity.
If you have ever been on a deep dive when your computer fails, your backup fails, your dive plans and a watch will save your rear!
Plan your dive.....Dive the plan! Pretty simple.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

If you just checked your gauge when it stopped working and say 5 minutes have gone by and you consume an awkward amount of air due to some event and your gauge is lower than you thought it was, this could be helpful- some sort of redundant backup is never a terrible thing the riskier you get because it helps prioritize safety/ steps on a deco dive. Even with the knowledge and planning that I will be safe if I end a dive before I end it on my own will, I personally like having that redundant information for my own sanity- the more I can tell about a situation the less inclined I'll be to lose my cool. I'd like to say I could keep it but having never "been there" I can't say for certain.

However, I really don't think redundant equipment like gauges becomes a large deal unless you're doing penetrative diving, solo diving or the ends of NDL/ deco dives. Between you and your buddy 3 regulators should never fail, 2 computers or SPGs, etc all at the same time, so long as you can easily make it to the surface safely pending your profile, I'd be inclined to be "reckless" because if the odds hit you, its still not necessarily life threatening.

My post assumes he's diving well within the NDLs, a direct ascent to the surface is always an option, and that he's smart enough to not screw around when his only computer starts behaving in a questionable manner. An spg does not change how much gas is available for an ascent.

If his diving is otherwise than as assumed, a backup spg is the least of his gear deficiencies.

I agree with both. : )

if you want, add a spg to back up transmitter. (belt and suspenders for strictly rec diving). OR have a back up in your bag (with depth gauge) I have old Smart com (ai), and recently bought a used scubapro mini analog gauge (2) console for just the reason described above; factory servicable only battery died near beginning of trip. (Belt with spare suspenders in luggage version)

(Then I found 2 very good condition MK25 / G500's w/ consoles for $250, so I have complete backup rigs, I need to stop looking..)

Bob in CO

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom