Backup gauges for air-integrated computers: a poll

Do you have a backup air gauge for your Wireless AI computer?

• Yes, I use a backup SPG.

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No, I feel my Wireless AI is reliable and I don't use a backup.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Yes, I always have backups -- I'm a tech diver!

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mruseless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was curious as to the number of recreational divers out there who have air-integrated computers, and have a backup SPG. I got to thinking about this because my 1st stage is a Titan, which has only 1 HP port, and I just bought a Suunto D9 with a transmitter.

What do you think?

No backup. But I also understand that my AI computer is my backup. My primary is my brain. I always have a rough idea of depth and air remaining because I check often and are aware of my surroundings.

Due to the non-overhead, recreational diving I do if my computer fails I simply ascend at a very slow rate and do an extra long stop at 15'.

Cheers.

-J.-

This is exactly what I do too. I have a similar reg with only one HP. If my computer goes that is the end of my diving for the day unless I can rent or borrow equipment. I am not concerned about having back-up gauges.

No backup. But I also understand that my AI computer is my backup. My primary is my brain. I always have a rough idea of depth and air remaining because I check often and are aware of my surroundings.

Due to the non-overhead, recreational diving I do if my computer fails I simply ascend at a very slow rate and do an extra long stop at 15'.

Cheers.

-J.-

This poll is missing the option I use.
I have a second AI computer as a backup. The chances of them both failing at the same time is slim. At this point I'm using only 1 transmitter for both computers. In the event of a sync failure on both computers I'd have to call the dive and figure out if it is a battery or transmitter failure. My save a dive kit will allow me to take care of either event and allow me to continue that days diving. Only a failure of both computers would end my day as I even keep a SPG in my reg bag.
I do feel that many AI computers available today are reliable enough for recreational divers that are aware their limits and plan accordingly. Yes failures may end a dive or a days diving but the diver can make equipment choices based on how much risk of those occurances they are willing to live with.

This poll is missing the option I use.
I have a second AI computer as a backup. The chances of them both failing at the same time is slim. At this point I'm using only 1 transmitter for both computers. In the event of a sync failure on both computers I'd have to call the dive and figure out if it is a battery or transmitter failure. My save a dive kit will allow me to take care of either event and allow me to continue that days diving. Only a failure of both computers would end my day as I even keep a SPG in my reg bag.
I do feel that many AI computers available today are reliable enough for recreational divers that are aware their limits and plan accordingly. Yes failures may end a dive or a days diving but the diver can make equipment choices based on how much risk of those occurances they are willing to live with.

Sorry about that, RAWalker. I didn't think of that option when I was putting in the options. Interesting to hear that you keep and SPG in your save-a-dive kit, that was exactly the plan I was thinking about. I recently bought a basic, bare-bones SPG, and was planning on sticking it in the SAD kit along with a small adjustable wrench. That way if my transmitter failed, I could end the dive, swap out the transmitter, and be ready for the next dive (or even continue with a shorter dive depending on the location and plan).

E

Sorry about that, RAWalker. I didn't think of that option when I was putting in the options. Interesting to hear that you keep and SPG in your save-a-dive kit, that was exactly the plan I was thinking about. I recently bought a basic, bare-bones SPG, and was planning on sticking it in the SAD kit along with a small adjustable wrench. That way if my transmitter failed, I could end the dive, swap out the transmitter, and be ready for the next dive (or even continue with a shorter dive depending on the location and plan).

E
I've yet to run into the situation but I am told that some dive sites interfere with the wireless transmission. The SPG is really just in case I do run into such a situation. In my save a dive kit I also keep a spare transmitter and fresh batteries for each computer and transmitter. I don't like adjustable wrenches so I have a pair of Stainless Steel wrenches with the 4 most common sizes along with a set of allen wrenches.

I use one wrist mount with transmitter and one AI with hose. Whenever I upgrade, I keep the newest two and sell the oldest.

I use a AI computer as well i wear a wrist mount computer. If my AI computer quits i have a back up pressure gauge I can use. Depending on the dive i would just surface and swap the AI to a pressure gauge and continue using the pressure gauge and wrist computer.

In your case again depending on the dive, you could swap your trans mitter to an spg. Stay with the spg regardless, if your computer is acting up even using it in gauge mode I wouldn't trust it.

I was curious as to the number of recreational divers out there who have air-integrated computers, and have a backup SPG. I got to thinking about this because my 1st stage is a Titan, which has only 1 HP port, and I just bought a Suunto D9 with a transmitter.

What do you think?

I always dive with an SPG for a back up for each bottle. If the AI computer crashes yes the dive is over but, if I lose the transmitter for what ever reason (most likely a battery) I don't want the dive to be over. My other concern is that I do alot of deco diving and the thought of not being able to know my gas pressure freaks me out. Its also the reason I have two AI computers. Anal? No. You just can't be to safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom