Backup for a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a Suunto Cobra and the darn thing was expensive!! In the instructions it tells me to have a "backup" to verify my pressure and depth reading. If this is the case why did I buy a computer???(fun I guess). It then goes on to say that if I dive in cold water it may affect the battery life-has anyone had any problems with this??
Finally, I was wondering what pressure and depth backup divers use - if they do use one.

Thanks

Hello there Buff. I just bought a Stinger and i love it. But I, like you, have got to decide on what to use as my backup computer/depth gauhe/bottom timer. At the moment i am of torn between a Uwatec bottom timer or a Suunto mosquito, or even perhaps buy another stinger as a backup. Or instead i could go for a watch with depth gauge Eeks now iv gone and confused myself :loopy:

Infact i have just this second popped to Uwatecs site and they have the digital gauge with depth, elapsed divetime etc. Im going now to go try and find a price. Link is below. Cheers

http://www.uwatec.com/english/di01.htm

Im back heh. Looks like a real nice piece of kit and its on simply scubas web site for 70 quid, ~ 97 US dollars. Looks like ill be buying one of those next week then lol. Oh Buff now look what you made me do.

I have seen that wrist mount at Simply Scuba and it looks good. But you are right back at it again with the reliance on the computer and digital technology. So do you need a backup for your backup then???
It doesn't read tank pressure either.

I use a Citizen Promaster Aqualand. Extremely accurate and dependable.
Rick

My first computer was a Suunto Stinger. Recently I've bought a Cobra in order to have redundancy both in computer as in pressure/depth reading. I still keep my analogue pressure meter on the 1st stage.
Last week I was diving in Azores Islands and my buddy throw my BC into the water as the sea was rough. As it has integrated weights and the Bc wasn't full enough it went down to 30m (100 feet). One of the already equipped guys went there and sent the BC up by filling it up. The Cobra went into error (gauge mode only) due the fast ascent.
This happened in the second day, so i was happy I had my Stinger fully working and the next dives weren't spoiled by that fact.
I know dive computers are expensive but it worth it to have a backup one.

Sue

I know that manufacturers tell you in the user manual to have a back up in case of a failure. I have been diving with computers for over ten years and have logged over 400 hours on them and have yet to experience the so-called failures that are mentioned in these manuals. Computers are so reliable: is a backup necessary? Depends on your diving situation. If you are penetrating anything (ie caves, wrecks, ice, etc) then I'd say yes. If you are doing no-stop diving (ie recreational diving) then you probably don't need a backup because you can make a direct ascent to the surface using the guidelines spelled out in the user manual and your entry level class. If you are doing tech diving, the Cobra is too big; I would recommend a small SPG and two wrist mount computers (Uwatec, Dive Rite, OMS, and others) and a regular wrist mount depth gauge/timer, though a sure bet would be to ask someone involved in the tech diving arena for suggestions (these are just things I've gotten out of other discussions and articles related to tech diving).

Just some thoughts :)

jmsdiver,

I agree that a backup computer is not required for safety recreational diving. If a failure occurs you simply end the dive and do a long safety stop. However, I do carry a backup computer for the following reason. Dive trips are expensive and I would hate to lose dive time if my computer fails. Dive computers are cheap however, the Tusa IQ-400 (Suunto Favor) I carry as backup only cost $150 at Leisure Pro, a reasonable cost for trip insurance (and some added safety) in my opinion.

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom