backup flashlight and knife setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was recently gifted a couple UK mini-Q40's for Christmas and I have had a Spyderco Salt. I wanted to mount one of the FL in a tube "holster" made from inner-tube bands. Here is the mount as I have it. It is very secure, IF it were to slip out the snap keeps it on the harness, but not too difficult remove if needed.
miniQ40.jpg

I have previously carried a Spyderco remote release but wasn't happy with the rust resistance. I bought this Salt years ago and carried it in my swim suit pocket in the ocean when I went to Fl. I decided to use it now instead, I have NEVER rinsed it after a dip in the Atlantic and have yet to see any corrosion.
salt.jpg

Both have a snap attached FWIW and are just below the D-rings and tri-glides I installed on the harness.

All hail the inner-tube!!!!!!

What do you all think? Nothing special here, just want some feedback.

Looks like it could be more work than you may want. In the event of a light failure you will not want to fuss with all that inner tube to remove your backup. What works for me is a bolt snap tied to the back of the light and clipped off to my chest D-ring, then I use a small piece of inner tube about 1" wide closer to the light head. When I need to switch I turn on the light, then remove it from the inner tube and then unclip it from the D-ring. By using a small piece of inner tube you can break it if for some reason you can't remove the light from it.

The way you have your knife seems like it would work well.

Oh ok, you suggest just using the one band. I figured I'd get my balls busted over what I had. Thanks.

Oh no, I'm not feeling that way from you, you have good info. Happy New Year!

ETA: I reread my response, yep I could see how it came across bad. sorry, no offense meant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom