Question Backup dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi @edwants2dive

Your Aqua Lung computer runs PZ+ deco algorithm. It is a proprietary algorithm based on Buhlmann. Only another computer running PZ+ would have identical NDLs. PZ+ is moderate, or middle of the road, in the conservative to liberal spectrum. It runs somewhere near a Buhlmann GF high of 85.
If you want matching algorithms, your Aqua Lung choices are the watch sized i200c for $389, intermediate size i300c for $329 or puck size i100 for $229.

There is one other nice option. You can still find the watch sized Oceanic Geo 2.0 for about $280. It has the same corporate parent as Aqua Lung and you can set it to use the same PZ+ algorithm. The only thing it lacks compared to the i200c is the ability to download logs via Bluetooth, which you presumably don't care about for a pure backup computer.

OP
edwants2dive

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to all for the input. Now I have the info to decide what to get. The intention is just what @Divin'Papaw said to keep diving if the primary goes haywire and not lose out on a $100 boat trip. Yes it's only a $100 and safety comes first but for me the small investment of a backup also prevents the disappointment on the 2 and a half hour ride home.

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I run two Shearwaters set to different levels of conservatism (using different GFs). I dive using the more conservative settings. The other is the "if the SHTF" one, to get me out of the water as quickly as possible consistent with what I percieve as reasonable risk.
Wouldn’t be enough to change the GFs once the SHTF? Why do you need to run 2 different settings from the start?

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I run two Shearwaters set to different levels of conservatism (using different GFs). I dive using the more conservative settings. The other is the "if the SHTF" one, to get me out of the water as quickly as possible consistent with what I percieve as reasonable risk.

Wouldn’t be enough to change the GFs once the SHTF? Why do you need to run 2 different settings from the start?
If you are running two Shearwater computers with the same settings, either one will tell you all you need to know about ascending in an emergency via SurfGF.

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If your budget allows, why not buy an identical computer?

I've never had a computer mess up on me, so I've never considered wearing a backup.

PapaRod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good discussion. Wife & I recently purchased New Apeks Reg sets and opted for a console with an Aqualung i300c, we ended up getting i770R AI for our Christmas gifts to each other, so we will have the wrist as main with the console as backup, which sounds like it should be a decent setup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Top Bottom