Backup Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've opted to dive with a back-up bottom timer/depth guage. In the extremely unlikely event that my computer dies while on a dive trip, I'll simply dive tables the rest of the trip if I can't rent/borrow another computer. Don't see the need to lay out the money for an additional computer when I can fall back on my brain.
If a diver is using RJP's method of using a backup bottom timer/depth gauge, it's important to be "backing out" one's nitrogen-loading status at the end of each dive and recording it somewhere. This can easily be done at the conclusion of a dive by looking at the NDLs for a given depth in dive-planning mode. Simply match up those numbers with the table numbers to determine pressure group.

FWIW, a used non-integrated dive computer can often be purchased for the same price as a new bottom timer and depth gauge. I've never spent more than $125 for a used, nitrox-capable dive computer. Good deals can be had if one is patient. Check Ebay or Craigslist ads.

There should be no problem diving a backup computer with a different algorithm than the primary computer...provided that the dive is conducted in a manner that doesn't "violate" the more conservative computer. (By "violate," I mean surfacing without fulfilling a computer-specified deco obligation.) There can be substantial differences in the NDLs displayed by computers utilizing different algorithms. It's a useful exercise to borrow a friend's computer for a dive just to appreciate such differences.

For the recreational dives that I do locally, my buddy's dive computer is my backup timer and depth gauge. If my computer dies, the dive is called and we ascend together. In this case, I would simply match my depth to my buddy's depth. My buddy would be responsible for timing any stops during the ascent and guiding our ascent rate. It wouldn't be a huge loss to refrain from diving until I can be certain that I've off-gassed sufficiently.

For liveaboard dive vacations or any trip involving multi-day, repetitive diving, I'll carry a second computer so that I don't have to bother with writing down my nitrogen-loading status at the end of each dive. I'm on vacation, after all.

I realize that dive computers are very common nowadays. I also understand that certain instructional agencies teach classes in which tables are not even discussed. So long as recreational divers have a handle on the NDLs given for common depths (e.g., 60 min. at 50 fsw, 50 min. at 60 fsw, etc.) and can appreciate that nitrogen-loading status is a function of time and depth, I don't see a problem with this.

Personally I wouldn't worry about getting a 2nd one, now, SPG?--->Yes.......What part of Louisiana are you in??.....I'm in SW, close to Lake Charles...

Will you be purchasing a computer that calculates remaining looking time
which could only be fifty percent of bottom time monitoring all that stuff.

I've opted to dive with a back-up bottom timer/depth guage. In the extremely unlikely event that my computer dies while on a dive trip, I'll simply dive tables the rest of the trip if I can't rent/borrow another computer. Don't see the need to lay out the money for an additional computer when I can fall back on my brain.
Ditto.
Here is my backup
JV0020-12F-z.jpg

I see the logic in using a back-up computer with the same algorithm. That said, I've dived with a Dive Rite (Buhlman algorithm) with a Suunto (RGBM) as back-up, and it was no big deal. (I was 'learning' how to use the Dive Rite, but wanted the familiarity of my regular computer, so I wore both.) I always ensured the most conservative computer was clear and happy - in this case, the Suunto - and experienced no problems whatsoever.

Seems more like 1/2 a backup....
How's that? It tracks the 100 most recent dives. Surface Interval time, Max depth, dive duration and water temp. With this info I can switch to tables easy peasy.:wink:

How's that? It tracks the 100 most recent dives. Surface Interval time, Max depth, dive duration and water temp. With this info I can switch to tables easy peasy.:wink:

Probably with the same amount of money, you could have gotten a real dive computer.

Sorry, I thought it was a standard divers watch. My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom