BackScatter MiniStrobe batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm seriously contemplating buying BackScatter's MiniStrobe Mk2 because of the ability to shoot with the strobe "off camera" and have a couple of questions.

I already have two MiniStrobe Mk1s and need to know the following:

Will the filter holder will work on the Mk1?

Are the batteries for the the Mk1 compatible with the Mk2? (Nitecore NL1835HP) 3500mAh)

Are the Xtar 21700 5000mAh batteries for the Mk2 compatible with the Mk1 strobe?

I'll be off to Indonesia again in less than 30 days and meeting up with one of my buddies from CA who can bring the strobe with her when we meet in Bali, so my plan is to have it shipped to her address, which will also save on international shipping too.

@Backscatter::Jim @BackscatterUW

All the accessories for the ML-1 fit the MF-2, so yes the filters will fit as will the snoot.

The batteries for the ML-1 and the MF-2 are not interchangeable. The ML-1 uses an 18650 size battery, while the MF-2 uses the 21700 size battery. The 21700 is larger and therefore won’t fit in the ML-1. The 21700 size is the same battery used in the Backscatter MW-4300 video light.

The batteries for the ML-1 and the MF-2 are not interchangeable.
That's a real PITA if I am still using the ML-1 as I need to carry another damn charger with me.

Thanks for the information @js1221

All the accessories for the ML-1 fit the MF-2, so yes the filters will fit as will the snoot.

The batteries for the ML-1 and the MF-2 are not interchangeable. The ML-1 uses an 18650 size battery, while the MF-2 uses the 21700 size battery. The 21700 is larger and therefore won’t fit in the ML-1. The 21700 size is the same battery used in the Backscatter MW-4300 video light.
Searcaigh, note the lithium battery nomenclature:
18650 means 18mm diameter, 65.0mm long.
The 21700 is 3mm larger in diameter, and 5mm longer.
A 22650 is 22mm in diameter, and 65.0mm long.
A 2016 is 20mm in diameter, and 1.6mm thick.
A 2032 is 20mm in diameter, and 3.2mm thick.
A 2450 is 24mm in diameter, and 5.0mm thick.
Etc.
Lengths of the longer cells are nominal.

That's a real PITA if I am still using the ML-1 as I need to carry another damn charger with me.

Thanks for the information @js1221
It's also possible that the remote strobe feature isn't compatible across models. Definitely look into it. It would mean replacing both strobes and batteries. Lion battery chargers are pretty inexpensive, get one that can charge multiple battery combinations at once. I paid a little more for a charger so I can do additional non-lion batteries at the same time. I ended up with this model:

The amazon link isn't show up for some reason. Search this model if it interests you. At least it'll give you an idea of what is out there.

XTAR VC8 Plus Fast LCD Display Rechargeable Battery Charger with DC36W Adapter max 3A 1 Slots/8 Slots 1A Fast Charge 10400 14500 18650 20700 21700 26650 or AA AAA LI-ION 1.2V Ni-MH Ni-Cd​

It's also possible that the remote strobe feature isn't compatible across models.
You could use the MF-1 as the "main" strobe to trigger a remotely placed MF-2, but you would not be able to remotely send power level signals to the MF-2. You would have to turn the power dial on the remote strobe. You need 2 MF-2's is you want to transmit a power level change.

Thanks for the information @MrChen and @Backscatter::Jim

The ideal option is to buy two MF-2s but my current budget will not allow that, so I'll probably pass for now and just use my MF-1s for back up strobes and for snooting.

If I can find a buyer for the MF1s then perhaps I'll go for the MF2s.

You can of course use the 18650 batteries with an adapter ($5) in the new MF-2. You will in fact get fewer flashes. I occasionally do that if I have charged 18650 and my MF2 batteries are being charged.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom