Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the snoot a must-have? I like the concept of it but man is it gigantic.

The flash itself is very compact. I don't recall seeing anything smaller. But it is almost strictly macro. Other flashes are macro and wide and will naturally be larger.

By default, the snoot is in my dive pocket. I only pull it out (the snoot) when I need it.

If you want to isolate something small or take artistic shots, then yes.
See sample photographs from back scatter.

But keep in mind that these sample snooted photographs have been edited - essentially darken the background. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out it because a lot of non photographers think these published photographs are straight out the camera.

Regardless of editing, a snoot is a tool.

Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Mini_Flash_Demo_Squad_Ron_Watkins_6.jpg
Backscatter_MF-1_Berkley_White_INDO_2019_BandaKomodo_31_P_Macro_LabuanKulambu_06724-octo-side-...jpg
Backscatter_MF-1_Berkley_White_INDO_2019_Sid_By_Side_Cuttlefish.jpg
Backscatter_MF-1_Berkley_White_INDO_2019_Sid_By_Side_Stone_Fish.jpg

The flash itself is very compact. I don't recall seeing anything smaller. But it is almost strictly macro. Other flashes are macro and wide and will naturally be larger.

By default, the snoot is in my dive pocket. I only pull it out (the snoot) when I need it.

If you want to isolate something small or take artistic shots, then yes.
See sample photographs from back scatter.

But keep in mind that these sample snooted photographs have been edited - essentially darken the background. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out it because a lot of non photographers think these published photographs are straight out the camera.

Regardless of editing, a snoot is a tool.

Depends on what you want to accomplish.

View attachment 798035View attachment 798036View attachment 798037View attachment 798038
With proper technique and lighting angles you very well make a dark background even without a snoot. Yes, most photos are edited but it does not necessarily need to be edited to delete the background of does other mistakes made in the original composition.

With proper technique and lighting angles you very well make a dark background even without a snoot. Yes, most photos are edited but it does not necessarily need to be edited to delete the background of does other mistakes made in the original composition.

Would love to see samples of what you're talking about.

Would love to see samples of what you're talking about.
Okay, here is one from two weeks ago.

Very minimal editing. Croped, sharped and tweaked saturation of subject about 15%. Didn't touch the background.

Opalescent Nudibranch (Hermissenda crassicornis) at Alki beach Seattle. Hundreds of these beautiful nudibranchs were perched on blades of eel grass in the shallows around 15 feet underwater.

Nikon D850 w/Nikkor 105mm lens, f18@1/250s iso160 Backscatter MF-2 strobe & Snoot + Inon 330 (fill)

Alki Junkyard August 04, 2023 (54 of 77).jpg

That's a great photograph.

I meant samples of what you were saying here.

Snootless dark background.

That's a great photograph.

I meant samples of what you were saying here.

Snootless dark background.
Okay, here is one i shot before i owned a snoot. Two inon 330s. One positioned behind and to the right pointed toward the lens at low power. Primary strobe to the left pointed inward, maybe 1/3 power.

Redondo Pier December 05, 2019 (157 of 173) (Medium).jpg

This is a pic without a snoot with a dark background. The trick is not having the strobe flash land on anything in the background. As Dave suggested, you point the strobe(s) inward. I've found this easier to accomplish with a single strobe by placing the strobe as 12 o'clock pointing down and inward towards the lens. Try practicing with one to master it. It also helps if the critter isn't on the ground and you can shoot upwards into the water column like this one.

1693150090409.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom