Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I got a couple with snoots and looking at snoots realized that I was most likely going to be clipping them off and dangle on occasion, and they have the glass at the end, which means I would likely scratch the heck out of them (y'all can lecture me about buoyancy and trim later.. I mean on shore of course:cool:).

Anyhow, wine bottle silicone stoppers will work great as a lens cap to protect them, put a little hole in it and lanyard if you wish

Beer Bottle Neoprene covers are good for the whole snoot.

If anyone has better solutions would be happy to hear

Oh.. and for strobes, silicone stretch can lids can be a diffuser of sorts in a pinch as well. They come in a variety of sizes.

So, I got a couple with snoots and looking at snoots realized that I was most likely going to be clipping them off and dangle on occasion, and they have the glass at the end, which means I would likely scratch the heck out of them (y'all can lecture me about buoyancy and trim later.. I mean on shore of course:cool:).

Anyhow, wine bottle silicone stoppers will work great as a lens cap to protect them, put a little hole in it and lanyard if you wish

Oh.. and for strobes, silicone stretch can lids can be a diffuser of sorts in a pinch as well. They come in a variety of sizes.
This seems like an artificial problem. I've had the MF-1/MF-2 strobes and snoots since 2020 and done several hundred dives with them. I clip the snoot to the strobe ball-joint arm with 6 inches of bungie and let it dangle when I don't need it attached. I've not had any problems with scratching the glass after more than three years of near weekly use. The glass is inset by about 3mm, so it's not actually very easy to scratch.

I did have one snoot develop very foggy "cataracts" inside the lens, but Backscatter was kind enough to replace it with a new snoot. BTW, did you know that the snoot itself went from being made with aluminum to carbon fiber? They are much lighter now than the original model.

IMG20230811142911.jpg

This seems like an artificial problem. I've had the MF-1/MF-2 strobes and snoots since 2020 and done several hundred dives with them. I clip the snoot to the strobe ball-joint arm with 6 inches of bungie and let it dangle when I don't need it attached. I've not had any problems with scratching the glass after more than three years of near weekly use.

I did have one snoot develop very foggy "cataracts" inside the lens, but Backscatter was kind enough to replace it with a new snoot. BTW, did you know that the snoot itself went from being made with aluminum to carbon fiber? They are much lighter now than the original model.

View attachment 796862
Hey, they are new for me and as far as artificial problem, I had seen myself clipping them off to my harness D rings when not in use, this the possibly of smacking a lens on something. I can see your method would prevent that, but truthfully even dangling lens caps on a lanyard annoy me on my rig, most probably won't mind it.

No idea on the material change, I am impressed with them so far.

Hey, they are new for me and as far as artificial problem, I had seen myself clipping them off to my harness D rings when not in use, this the possibly of smacking a lens on something. I can see your method would prevent that, but truthfully even dangling lens caps on a lanyard annoy me on my rig, most probably won't mind it.

No idea on the material change, I am impressed with them so far.
If you put any of those silicone caps on your snoot you will need yet another lanyard, because they will get lost for sure otherwise! I'd worry about those floating up into the lightpath of the snoot when shooting.

If you don't want a lanyard, you can just use a double-ender boltsnap to clip off the snoot. I find it much more convenient to clip it off to the strobe itself or the handle of my nauticam housing than to my harness d-rings.

If you put any of those silicone caps on your snoot you will need yet another lanyard, because they will get lost for sure otherwise! I'd worry about those floating up into the lightpath of the snoot when shooting.

If you don't want a lanyard, you can just use a double-ender boltsnap to clip off the snoot. I find it much more convenient to clip it off to the strobe itself or the handle of my nauticam housing than to my harness d-rings.
Yeah, I will play with it. I still want some protection for snoot optics, even if for travel etc on land.

Thanks for this. I am rigging my cap with a cable-tie loop on it, and plan to use a double-ender to hold the snoot when not in use. I'll clip the silicone cap to the double-ender when the snoot is in use.

This seems like an artificial problem. I've had the MF-1/MF-2 strobes and snoots since 2020 and done several hundred dives with them. I clip the snoot to the strobe ball-joint arm with 6 inches of bungie and let it dangle when I don't need it attached. I've not had any problems with scratching the glass after more than three years of near weekly use. The glass is inset by about 3mm, so it's not actually very easy to scratch.

View attachment 796862

Nice solution
But I dislike dangling things when I can avoid.

So my snoot goes in my pocket.
What continues to dangle, though, are the two aperture cards.
I've considered disconnecting them from the snoot - but they're likely to get lost unless I consciously dedicate brain effort into keeping an eye. So they dangle when not in use and occasionally get in the way.

I’ve just found a classic old Scuba Pro BCD that has 2 big pockets that have flap covers that secure with Velcro. This may become my next Photo Safari Rig so I can tuck all these extra things away safely. It’s old enough that I may get some funny looks but it might just work out well! I hate the idea of stuff hanging off of my BC from straps and D rings like I’m some sort of peddler!
🐸

Back
Top Bottom