Info Backscatter Hybrid Flash HF-01: preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could not find info on the CRI of the 5000 lumen video light. What value does it have?
How does it change with the diffusers (CRI and intensity)?

Thanks, Wolfgang

I could not find info on the CRI of the 5000 lumen video light. What value does it have?
How does it change with the diffusers (CRI and intensity)?

Thanks, Wolfgang

I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know/understand. Why is this important to know? What are the implications of this information?

I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know/understand. Why is this important to know? What are the implications of this information?
CRI stands for color rendering index. Its a measure of how accurately a light source represents the full visible spectrum of colors, relative to sunlight (CRI of 100). Most LEDs in cheap flashlights you'll notice are very blue compared to natural sunlight and usually result in muted reds. For photography & video in order to capture all colors in a balanced fashion you want a CRI of 90-95+. LEDs with a higher CRI are usually more difficult/expensive to make and are slightly less efficient but the tradeoff is worth it for capturing accurate colors.

I would certainly not dismiss a desire for these video lights to have a high CRI.

But, for me personally, if I'm shooting video that is important enough to me to feel a need for high CRI, I'm probably going to use my dedicated video lights anyway. 18K lumens, constant output, and a CRI of 92 (I believe).

My anticipated use of the video light capability of these strobes is for more casual, short clips for social media. For that, even if they are only CRI of 70, I think (hope?) they will be satisfactory.

But, if they are CRI of 90+, that will be great!

Great thanks, Jim ... :thumb:

Just one more question: What are the angles of the different zones (the rings in the test image)?
Some questions on the 5000 lumen video lights:

What CRI does it have?
Can one use the video light with diffuser/dome attached, eventually to change color temperature, or do the diffusers/domes filter out too much light?

Thanks, Wolfgang

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom