Backscatter HF-1 Strobe - Fix for the Power Level Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davehicks

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The Backscatter HF-1 strobe has been out for a couple of months now, and a number of divers are using it with great success. The reviews have been largely positive as well, and it seems to be a great product. I've done about 20 dives with the HF-1s and I'm really pleased with it. The power level, recycle time, battery life, and actually useful videos lights add up to very compelling product. When compared to other strobes with fewer features at almost twice the price, it's a killer deal.

All that said, when I've talked to other UW photographers about it, I've really only had one criticism related to the controls and ergonomics. The Power Level Knob is terrible.

Original Knob.jpg

The Power Level Knob is too difficult to turn while wearing gloves and worse, you can't tell By Feel what power level position it is in. There is a tiny white dot on the knob indicating its position which you can't see unless you point the strobe's back right into your face. Personally, I use long arms and rarely have the strobes pointed straight forward so I have to reposition the strobes just to change the power level. At night this is even worse as you also need to point a light at it. This design is very problematic, and I hope Backscatter will fix it in later production.

In the meantime, I have come up with a solution. I made a new knob that slips right on top of the existing one.

Screenshot 2024-08-23 181508.png
Screenshot 2024-08-23 181534.png

This simple 3d-printed part slips snuggly over the existing knob, aligned with the existing white dot. It is much simpler to turn with glove on or off, and you can easily tell it's position by feel. The knob turns freely in the full range of settings.

HF-1 Power Knob [DLH].jpg

It was just as easy to print out 10 as 2, so I made a big batch to share with others who might be interested. I still need to do a few more test dives with it before I declare it to be finished, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

I'll publicly share the 3D STL design files once I've tested it a bit more.

IMG20240823183846.jpg

Wow this is really cool, I had my paid on a surgy night dive yesterday and ran into the "unable to tell what power setting Im on" problem frequently.

Wow this is really cool, I had my paid on a surgy night dive yesterday and ran into the "unable to tell what power setting Im on" problem frequently.
I have extra knobs I can toss in an envelope for US based folks.

Wow, this is incredible, well done, well done!

I have extra knobs I can toss in an envelope for US based folks.
If You have extra knobs for the MF-2 I would like to purchase two from you.

Pm your address and I can mail some out. If outside the USA you can send me a mailing label for a padded envelope. I am in Seattle.

By the way, the add on knob for the Backscatter MF-2 will also fit on the MF-1. I just took my older MF-1 out of its box to check and it's identical to the MF-2. So, two for one!

Several people PM'ed to ask for some MF-2 power knobs so I am printing a batch of 10 right now. I'll try to mail them out tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom