Backscatter flat lens case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked GoPro today about the status of the flat lens housing. They responded "winter 2012." I pointed out that it was now April 2012, and that winter was largely over most places. This was the response:
"Unfortunately we don't have any information regarding a specific releasedate. All we know is that it is scheduled for release sometime later this year.As soon as we get any more information we will update the website. Make sure tosign up for our newsletter to be notified of the release."

Will

That sounds about right. Maybe they meant this coming winter?

The GoPro Japan website has it listed on their site as being available at the beginning of June.

Maybe GoPro is an Australian company? :eyebrow:

No, the hinge would go the other way. :)

I give up on GoPro. I leave in 5 weeks for Indo and want a filter option. I just ordered the Backscatter with filter. It is awfully expensive, but it sounds like the best option to me.

I still have my Eye of Mine (which works great, but has no filter option). Anyone interested?

Will

Thanks to everyone posting on this thread.
I am looking at the Go Pro Hero2 and the comments here are extremely helpful.

One thing I am curious about, for cleaning of the glass lens, is it removable by releasing the retaining clip? I am thinking in terms of cleaning the backside and applying anti-fog for example. Can anyone who has received this yet comment?

Hi archiebald,
Yes, I have not tried it, however, I believe you can remove the lens by releasing the retaining clip. I have added a photo showing the clip at the end of my review of the housing. You can find the link to my review in my signature. Hope that it helps.

Hi archiebald,
Yes, I have not tried it, however, I believe you can remove the lens by releasing the retaining clip. I have added a photo showing the clip at the end of my review of the housing. You can find the link to my review in my signature. Hope that it helps.

Excellent!!

Thanks very much. Some lovely video there and a great review.

I am ordering mine today!!

Nice review Beleebala - thanks.

Just got mine in the mail with filter and the construction seems quite good. You mentioned that you were pleased with the filter to 12m; what was your experience in 1-2m or deeper than 12m?

Will

Nice review Beleebala - thanks.

Just got mine in the mail with filter and the construction seems quite good. You mentioned that you were pleased with the filter to 12m; what was your experience in 1-2m or deeper than 12m?

Will

Hi Will,
In shadow water (<3m), the image is tinted to orange. However, it is still very nice as the other colors come out as well. If you go to 44 sec of my video, the shot I was holding a rope was captured when I was doing safety stop. I would mount the filter after getting into the water to avoid the orange tint and wrapping off the bubbles on the lens surface. When it is deeper, the effect of the filter simply diminishes.

I am sure you will enjoy filming with the GoPro. Please share your video with us.

So I just got back from my Key Largo trip where I dove the USS Spiegel Grove twice on Saturday morning. I got some great photos........... but only on the boat:(. Somehow my red Magic Filter on my Backscatter came off and disappeared. I have one picture where there is the red tint, and then another pic almost identical where the tint is gone. It must have flown off on its own. I have to say that I am less than please with this. In thinking about it, after what happened, I am a big fan of the Backscatter flat lens case, but not a fan of the way their red magic filters are held on with just the "o-ring". I think they should look at having the Magic filters company redesign the Backscatter red filter to have a way to screw into the front of the flat lens just like the protection cover they have does. I am planning to email Backscatter to let them know at least of what happened. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Ant

Back
Top Bottom