Backscatter flat lens case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoPro has their own diving case. They were showing it at DEMA!!! Why aren't they selling it yet!!!!!!!!!!!

GoPro has their own diving case. They were showing it at DEMA!!! Why aren't they selling it yet!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you note whether it took filters? I'm trying to hold out for it, but if it doesn't take filters...

Just an update on the GoPro flat lens... I contacted GoPro the other day and informed them I was interested in buying a housing before my trip on May 5th.... they told me it won't be ready by then, and I should go ahead and buy a third party flat lens!

I wouldn't expect GoPro's version for quite some time.

Thanks Colin - trip leaving late May and your post is VERY helpful.

Will

I just ordered the Backscatter case with the red magic filter and the mount/handle. Will let you guys know how it all looks when it comes in :)

Thanks Colin - trip leaving late May and your post is VERY helpful.

Will

Happy to help. I've decided to purchase the Backscatter and magic red filter! Ordering mine tomorrow! After all the research, this one really seems to be the best all-rounder. Backscatter really did their homework on this housing! Can't wait for our trip now!

I got mine in and i will have to say the quality of the materials are pretty good. The lens fits well but I think they should have included an additional o-ring (used to hold the filter on) as this seems like the weakest link and will be the first to wear out. Can't wait to do comparison shots. I have a trip to Key Largo coming up in a few weeks so it will get some use then :)

I have just ordered a GoPro HD2 for an upcoming trip to Guam. Currently looking at flat lens options. I have seen pictures of the GoPro square one and I'm not impressed, even though I dare say the price will be okay.

I looked closely at the Blurfix from SRP but I don't like the idea of retaining the OEM plastic lens. Anything in the light path is going to reduce image quality.

Currently I am looking at the Backscatter as the best option with their removable magic filter. Seems like the most versatile options for changing depths and conditions.

One thing I am curious about, for cleaning of the glass lens, is it removable by releasing the retaining clip? I am thinking in terms of cleaning the backside and applying anti-fog for example. Can anyone who has received this yet comment?

Not sure if anyone has noted but the Backscatter case takes 55mm screw-in filters which happen to be the same size as the SRP modified UR Pro filters. This means that you have an additional option to use those filters having the reduced thickness in the Backscatter case. Greater versatility while hopefully also achieving no vignetting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom