backplate with soft webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Has anyone rigged a backplate with soft webbing versus the typical stiff stuff? If so how did it work were there any drawbacks? I have heard a lot of complaints about armpit bruising, seams like soft webbing would help.

I suspect the problem would be that soft webbing tends to have more stretch so fit and adjustment would be a problem.

Soft webbing sucks, IMO. I bought 75feet of it, I got a deal on it, and then hated it. It does not stay in adjustment good, as it slides out. It tends to curl up and fold into something more like a rope. It is just awful. Save it for crotch straps.

I have a buddy - far more experienced than I - who uses and likes soft webbing on his BP.
Personally, I prefer the stiff stuff.
Only way to tell what you'll like is to try 'em both and make your own decision.
Rick

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
JamesK:

Where did you find it? I may need to get some for a couple of particularly tall divers.

Thanks

Short lengths of soft webbing can often be had for the asking at "u pull it" type auto scrap yards. Buick front seats often have the longest continuous lengths. Having tried it, I went to stiffer webbing for harnesses.

FT

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
JamesK:

Where did you find it? I may need to get some for a couple of particularly tall divers.

Thanks

How much do you need? Email me at JamesK@cavediver.net and i will send you all of it you want. I will not be able to do it until next week though. Otherwise, I got it at a marine supply store. Just so you know though, this webbing is very soft. Maybe even softer than seat belt webbing.

MikeS once bubbled...
Has anyone rigged a backplate with soft webbing versus the typical stiff stuff? If so how did it work were there any drawbacks? I have heard a lot of complaints about armpit bruising, seams like soft webbing would help.

FWIW, the Halcyon webbing I have is stiff, but quite a bit "softer" than the 2" webbing I bought in a roll. There is a noticeable difference in comfort between the two. And the Halcyon crotch strap is softer still.

Phil

I have a halcyon unit and have used it for the last three years. I too hated the stiff webbing and regardless of the amount of adjustment I made I still ended up with bruising. Alot of it may have been due to the amount of gear I lugged up and down the hill at my favorite dive quarry and/or my build and not actually obtained during the actual dive.

I bought some softer webbing at my local LDS and made my own harness. It took a little work though to find the right combination to over come the above mentioned problems.

Don't use seatbelt webbing!!!! works terrible it is made to strech and spring back. When a collision occurs the body slamms into it. It streches to asorb as much energy as it can and then rebounds to hold you in place.

There are several different levels of webbing out there. Find one that flexes but does not roll. If you have a chance feel the Dive-Rite Harness it is real close to what I did without all the extras.

I added the softer webbing up top and left the heavy stiff stuff down low and along the belt. It took some heavy sewing and a few trys to get it right but now I can dive without paying for it in sore shoulders the rest of the week.

Hallmac

JamesK once bubbled...

How much do you need? Email me at JamesK@cavediver.net and i will send you all of it you want. I will not be able to do it until next week though. Otherwise, I got it at a marine supply store. Just so you know though, this webbing is very soft. Maybe even softer than seat belt webbing.

THANKS. I'll send it out in the morning. I really appreciate your offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom