Backplate shoulder strap fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srcalDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
10 dives ago I switched to a backplate and I'm having trouble adjusting my continuous webbing harness. Background: I dive in cold water, ware a thick undergarment and CF200 drysuit.

According to manufacture's guidance, I should be able to touch the top of my backplate with my finger tips. I should also be able to grab the shoulder Drings and remove the shoulder straps.

Web Demo: straptightnessoff

My shoulders are broad and I find that when I adjust the shoulder straps so that I can reach the top of the backplate, I am unable to pull the shoulder straps off.

Has anyone else experience this and what solution have you found?

Thanks

You need to adjust the straps (feed a bit of slack from the waist strap) so that you have about the amount of "slack" shown in the pictures on the website you linked to. The backplate will "seek it's own height" on your back. You don't want the harness "sloppy-loose", but you should be able to get it on and off easily. It should be comfortable, not digging grooves into your shoulders. Ideally you should be able to touch the top of the plate, if you are average-sized. I can't touch mine, however (I'm just under 6'5", 260 lbs). Mine rides just out of reach when I have enough "slack" in the shoulder straps. In the water it is just fine however (which is all that really matters).

Others may have more specific advice, but this seems to work out fine in my case.

Good luck!

You didn't say how tall you are.

If your waist strap is positioned properly, then the lower harness slots will be at your waist line and the upper strap slots will be wherever they have to be on your back, naturally effecting the placement of the top of the plate relative to your shoulders.

If you are tall, the top of the plate can be considerably lower down the back than on a person of average height.

One of the main considerations, don't have your plate/waist strap positioned so that it inteferes with good breath control and proper breathing.

Get your waist strap set and then adjust the placement of the shoulder rings accordingly.

the K

LeadTurn_SD and the K, thanks for the tips.

I'm 6' and find that the waist belt lands between the top of my hip bone and the bottom of my rib cage. I haven't experienced difficulty inhaling, likely because of the heavy undergarment and drysuit.

Where have you positioned your shoulder Drings? Near the top front of your shoulders or more forward (lower than your arm pits).

First off, I'm not a "DIR" diver . . . but I place my shoulder rings so that I can reach up and stick my thumbs in them.

the K

My shoulders are broad and I find that when I adjust the shoulder straps so that I can reach the top of the backplate, I am unable to pull the shoulder straps off.

Has anyone else experience this and what solution have you found?

Thanks

This may be more a matter of technique than of adjustment. To doff my rig, I reach back with my stronger (right) hand and lift and rotate the bottom of my (single) tank pushing the opposite (left) strap off my shoulder. This loosens the strap on the left shoulder and allows me to chicken wing my way out of it. Then I reach across with my left hand hand and grab the right strap above the D-ring. With my right hand on the bottom of the tank and my left hand on the right shoulder strap, I slide the right strap down my arm to remove the rig and set it down.

One thing to know is that the precise placement of the plate on your back is not as important with a single tank rig as it is with doubles. This is because cambands give you a fair amount of flexibility in where you can put the tank with respect to the plate, whereas doubles are bolted into the plate, giving you few options.

If you are practicing removal of the plate without a tank in it, it's MUCH harder. Having a tank allows you to set the bottom of the tank on something and lift the whole rig a little bit, which gives you more slack. I basically can't get out of my rig in my drysuit while standing, unless someone gives me a hand.

LeadTurn_SD and the K, thanks for the tips.

I'm 6' and find that the waist belt lands between the top of my hip bone and the bottom of my rib cage. I haven't experienced difficulty inhaling, likely because of the heavy undergarment and drysuit.

Where have you positioned your shoulder Drings? Near the top front of your shoulders or more forward (lower than your arm pits).

Just make sure the waist strap is on your "waist" and not hitting the lower ribcage / diaphragm. Mine is adjusted to be at about "belly-button level".... it would normally fall higher because I'm tall, but I've adjusted the crotch strap length to pull the waist strap down a little lower in front so it doesn't catch my lower ribcage (this will not be necessary for you, just for freaks of nature like me :D ).

The D-ring placement is really up to your preference, but the "DIR" placement is probably optimal for most folks. The website you linked has good pictures. One method is to put on your backplate, close your eyes, raise your arms out to shoulder level with you palms down, then bend your elbows until your thumbs touch your shoulder straps (looks sort of like performing a "sobriety test" :D). This is the method I used to find a comfortable, "natural" position for the D-rings. Should be done with exposure suit on :wink:

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

I donned my extremely warm undergarment and drysuit and increased the length of my shoulder straps. I also positioned my shoulder Drings at the point where I can place my thumb closest to the same-side shoulder strap, which for me is inline with my armpit. Now the system has enough slack in it to allow me to reach the shoulder Dring with the opposite hand.

Now to dive it in San Diego for Thanksgiving!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom