backplate in carbon fiber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, and it likely weighs more than their aluminum plates (unless they re-tooled for a thinner Ti plate). maybe Scott Zeagle can answer that, I can't find any specs for it online.
Zeagle makes a black anodized aluminum plate that will probably serve if it's a question of style for the OP. It looks pretty cool to me, with the "Z" logo cut into it.

Other then the cool factor I see little point on a balanced rig. Plus the cost of the mold might be hard to cover.

In a past life I had watercrafts custom made from Carbon fiber.... :D

Brian how much could it cost a plate in CF? how much is the Kydex plate? weigth ?

A rough estimate for a pure and simple carbon plate would be around $150 US, but that is rough. as for the cost of the mold, right now I'm making molds for body panels on my LOCOST so I have all the materials on hand for mold building and I would not think that it would take too long to pull a mold off the plate, it would probably take longer to let the mold cure properly.

Brian it will be great :wink:

I hate to disappoint you, but a 100% carbon fiber plate won't have the rigidity you're going to want from a hard plate. If you make a lay-up with some other material to add rigidity, you might be okay.

It's also remarkably easy to crack carbon fiber if it flexes. I'm not sure what makes you think otherwise. I've seen CF kayaks completely destroyed from a collision with a rock at 6 mph. I have a CF paddle I built (yes I built it "properly") that also broke. It would work for a while, if you had say, 6-10 layers of 6 oz cloth laid up. I've been thinking of experimenting with a fiberglass or CF/plywood plate just for fun, but I have so many other projects I probably won't get around to it.

For what it's worth, a PVC plate is significantly easier to make than a CF one would be and works quite well. For the weight savings, you're not gaining much over AL when you consider a CF plate will probably cost a lot more and would certainly cost you more (in time alone) if you were to make one.

Please excuse the off topic question. Are you by any chance a kayak builder?

I built a harness that traps the wing between my back and the tank. No plate. The tank is strong enough that I'll never bend it and the harness weighs less than five ounces. I use it for travel to warm places when I use the large kerosene burner for transportation.

DC

Oh - I have laid up a CF plate. All that work to save a couple ounces compared to the alloy plate wasn't worth the effort. Plus, my carry-on packed easier with just the harness and 18lb wing. YMMV

I built a harness that traps the wing between my back and the tank. No plate. The tank is strong enough that I'll never bend it and the harness weighs less than five ounces. I use it for travel to warm places when I use the large kerosene burner for transportation.

Would love to see some pics of your setup. Sounds very interesting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom