Backplate compatibility with Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll let Bob answer your question on the DSS/eclipse combo as I prefer the Pioneers. But as far as STAs are concerned, there is some variety in design and weight. I like the HAlcyon unweighted 'cause it comes with killer cam bands and SS buckles. They weigh about 2.5# with the cams and hardware.

The OMS STA is VERY similar and weighs about the same...though you have to order the SS buckles as a special.

FredT has a little different deal with his 2 piece light STA...but then Katrina came calling.

Oxycheck's STA also looks good but I haven't used one so I can't say.

I bet Salvo has a nice one, too.

And...you can always make your own.

Weighted STAs are nice, too. But you didn't ask about those so I'll just leave it at that.

Yep...Barry's look very similar to the Halcyons. Although his look like they don't have the SS cam band buckles. A phone call could probably fix that if you wanted to get the steel...or maybe you would prefer it as is and save about 20 bucks in the doing.

Dave Laws:
So do you need to use an STA with the DSS plate/Eclipse wing combo? It's hard to tell from the Halcyon site, but it looks like there isn't a big hole that the cylinder straps can fit through?

If you have to use an STA, how heavy are the unweighted ones? Any recommendations, or are STAs pretty generic?
I use a generic (unweighted) STA with my DSS/Eclipse setup.

Deep Sea Supply provides a couple of features about their plates I really like. One ... the rubber grommets in the webbing slots ... has been discussed already, and the benefits are obvious.

Another that I use is the plate weight system that screws into the backplate. I think it works better than a weighted STA, because it distributes the weight in very close to your body, where it feels more natural.

I use the 5-lb plate weights ... he also builds an 8-lb set.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can you folks take a look at the OMS backplate(Fig1) on this website. Are the vertical slots in the backplate designed for cam bands or does this backplate require a single tank adapter. If I understand what has been said here then the slots can be used for cam bands as long as they line up with the slots in the wings. If this is true then I needlesly purchased an STA and have made my rig more complex than it needs to be. Thank you
http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html

Jerryg:
Can you folks take a look at the OMS backplate(Fig1) on this website. Are the vertical slots in the backplate designed for cam bands or does this backplate require a single tank adapter. If I understand what has been said here then the slots can be used for cam bands as long as they line up with the slots in the wings. If this is true then I needlesly purchased an STA and have made my rig more complex than it needs to be. Thank you
The slots are, indeed, intended for cam bands. However, you need something to stabilize the single tank and wing (to keep the rotational forces under control) and if you don't have internal support (a la the Pioneer) you'll still want a STA that bolts to the backplate.

It's a decent backplate that's designed to accomodate many different wings from many different manufacturers. Some features won't be useful in some situations.

Jerryg:

In a word, yes. What leads most "Sta-less" set ups to suffer "Tank Rock" is the bolts that are used to secure the wing to the plate. These bolts become the high points against which the tank rests. It's like trying to balance a pipe on two pivot points.

If you are careful in the selection of the fasteners, it is quite possible to use a BP&W without a STA and have rock free tank.

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin includes a rubber stabilizer on his single wings that works wonders. I use his Kydex (plastic) backplate with my doubles, and I need to get a steel one for singles. Tobin, you have my CC number and address: might as well ship me one. The first one got snagged by a fan!

NetDoc:
Tobin includes a rubber stabilizer on his single wings that works wonders. I use his Kydex (plastic) backplate with my doubles, and I need to get a steel one for singles. Tobin, you have my CC number and address: might as well ship me one. The first one got snagged by a fan!

I can do that:D

should ship tomorrow

Tobin

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. Everytime I get one, someone wants to try it and then I have to go get ANOTHER one. You're breaking the bank, mon ami!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom