Backpacking with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DK_Scuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone, my wife and I are planning to backpack South America for 6 months in the future and are really conflicted when it comes to our dive gear. We are planning to dive in Colombia, a liveaboard in Galapagos (Probably in August) and depending if we can save enough a dive trip to Antarctica. We are accomplished divers having 500+ and 200+ dives in cold water alone respectively.

Our question is how should be handle our dive gear? We will be requiring our drysuits for Antarctica but the idea of lugging around our full cold water kits for 6 months sounds risky (worried about theft and the overall bulk as we will be staying in hostels).

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can manage all of this?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, my wife and I are planning to backpack South America for 6 months in the future and are really conflicted when it comes to our dive gear. We are planning to dive in Colombia, a liveaboard in Galapagos (Probably in August) and depending if we can save enough a dive trip to Antarctica. We are accomplished divers having 500+ and 200+ dives in cold water alone respectively.

Our question is how should be handle our dive gear? We will be requiring our drysuits for Antarctica but the idea of lugging around our full cold water kits for 6 months sounds risky (worried about theft and the overall bulk as we will be staying in hostels).

Thanks!
Ive traveled with all my dive gear together with 2x pelican cases for my dive housing equipment and a large Lowepro 400AW backpack with photographic gear. Dude minimise on whats not important regarding clothing.... you know what they say, "just do it!"

Thanks!
Have someone at home mail you a box of your kit. Ask the hostels if they will accept a box and have it sent there - do you dives -- mail it home in the same box. Rinse and repeat.

Its a risk, but carting around a cold water setup for six months seems like a version of hell that Dante hasnt thought of yet.

Have someone at home mail you a box of your kit. Ask the hostels if they will accept a box and have it sent there - do you dives -- mail it home in the same box. Rinse and repeat.

Its a risk, but carting around a cold water setup for six months seems like a version of hell that Dante hasnt thought of yet.
Yeah it really does sound like a cruel punishment lol. Looked into prices and looks like it'll be roughly $800 USD for each of our kits. Something to consider in the budget I suppose! Thanks

Ooh, I like this trip concept a lot.

I‘d research the feasibility of using the nearest LDS or charter for storage at each intended dive location.

You may also consider leveraging the instructor network of your certifying agency to help with the research. Individual divers may pop up on the map with a bed and even a compressor.

If you find a series of LDS or individuals that are willing and you feel are trustworthy, I can confidently recommend using DHL Express for the shipping. It’s more expensive but it will be transported, processed through customs and delivered to the LDS with precision.

Use rotomoulded shipping cases (Pelican, etc) for your dive kit. I’d refrain from putting any extraneous decals on them.

Don´t ship it to a South American country, there will be import taxes on it. Try to get in touch with Dive Shops in Argentina and Chile and may be you could rent dry suits of them for the trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom