Backing off from technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don't care to see that one thing that's at 180ft, when there's a bajillion things to see at 130ft for me still.

That one thing's the reason I got into tech diving ... in this case, here's the one thing ... they start at about 150 feet, and by 180 feet they're pretty interesting ...

IMG_8198.jpg

Now that I've seen them, I might someday be tempted to go back for better pictures ... then again, I might not ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is that Red Coral? If so you should just go to NZ's Fiordland National Park- plenty at less than 30m

Is that Red Coral? If so you should just go to NZ's Fiordland National Park- plenty at less than 30m

... cheaper for me to go to Nootka Sound ... no airfare required, although the last 45 miles or so are unpaved road ...

I'd love to dive New Zealand someday, though ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That one thing's the reason I got into tech diving ... in this case, here's the one thing ... they start at about 150 feet, and by 180 feet they're pretty interesting ...

IMG_8198.jpg

Now that I've seen them, I might someday be tempted to go back for better pictures ... then again, I might not ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm heading out tomorrow at 5 am from my house to go dive the Gorgonian Coral in the Agamemnon Channel. I understood Gorgonian Coral was pretty unique to our waters...

Carrying:
  • Double LP108's with 21/35
  • 1 Al80 with 50%
  • 1 Al40 with 100%
  • 1 Al80 with 32% (for a second dive on Captain's Island)
  • 1 Al13 with air for suit inflation

Agamemnon Wall was one of the two dives I wanted to do, that made me get my tech cert. I still haven't done it.

Both of us agreed that we will probably not do much tech diving in the future, and both of us are considering selling some gear.

(BTW, I will keep a set of doubles and a deco bottle, just in case, and also because I need to stay current on skills for cave diving, which I emphatically intend to continue to do!)

I'm finding it ironic and humorous that you love cave diving so much that you wouldn't classify it as tech diving, yet cave diving is definitely tech! :)

Last edited:
Fascinating discussion, and I can certainly relate to much said here. A friend/neighbor is a very serious tech diver, since way before DIR, GUE, etc became the mainstream way for creating a large population of divers with plastic cards confirming they are a tech diver. I used to think tech diving was the pinnacle of the sport, and something to aspire to. A few years ago, my neighbor chartered a local six pack boat (the same one he identified several new wrecks with) for friends and family - neighbor, his 2 kids (new divers), his regular dive buddy, another "tech diver", and me. The other tech diver guy hadn't been diving in several years, his gear had issues, dry suit seals torn and leaked, and looked like a total hack. I dove wet with stab jacket and dive computer. During the dives (Santa Barbara Island), I realized I probably enjoyed the dives as much or more than the others. I've done a number of recreational local beach dives with this neighbor and had a great time. Otherwise, he mostly does caves in Mexico or a few other big trips, and months will go by between times he gets in the water

I've come to the realization that I want diving to be fun, not something I do to prove anything to anyone else, and there's a limit to how much I'm willing to plan without going diving. Several diver friends now are into tech diving, or thinking about it, and they get all excited about spending hours and days practicing turning off each other's tanks in a swimming pool while hovering without a mask. While I understand these are necessary skills for surviving tech dives, personally I'd rather go diving off a local beach exploring the local sea life in 30 ft depths and seeing pretty stuff, and sometimes even getting my wife to join me.

The last time my tech diver neighbor joined me on a beach dive, we dived the Pt Dume pinnacles (actually, it was his first time ever doing the dive), and all he could say afterward was it wasn't quite as good as discovering a new wreck at San Clemente Island with over 100 ft viz - and they spent over a year planning that trip, but it was all we could talk about for the next several hours over lunch. Between the logistics, planning, skills, time and effort needed for tech diving, I decided there's a lot of great recreational dives I can do everywhere, or even just locally, and I'll never be able to do as much as I want. I think Dr Bill summed it up quite well in his post above - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...cking-off-technical-diving-3.html#post6853743 , and I still love seeing all his photos of local sealife taken at recreational depths

With all that being said, I do still want to take something like Fundies or Essentials to gain some of the skills I want to improve, such as propulsion techniques, but that's more for improving my diving ability rather than conquering greater (ego) depths. And a lot of the tools of tech diving that have made their way into more mainstream recreational diving, like nitrox, dry suits, backplates and DPVs have certainly improved recreational diving, and I'm sure more things associated with tech diving, like trimix and rebreathers, will continue to be simplified and move into the realm of my diving over time

Agamemnon Wall was one of the two dives I wanted to do, that made me get my tech cert. I still haven't done it.
That is a grave injustice that you should endeavour to correct. Not to take anything away from Nootka, but the Agamemnon Channel is more accessible if you're coming from the Seattle area. For us in greater Vancouver it is just a day trip. Let us know when you're coming around.

Got to say this thread helped me as I started question how 'far' to take my training and diving. Still in dry dock, but the reason for me not being able to get back in the water within the next month still on my mind, it made me question what do I love/find fun about diving.

When I first started out I thought of the deep deep dives, the 250+ FSW ones. Then, as I sat back and realized not the cost, but the times involved I scaled back and realized the skillset I would want would most likely be a max of about 100 FSW shallower than what I thought, with most of it in the normal rec zones. I am adapting what I wish to do to fit it. Will I take trimix? Nope. Will I take an advanced nitrox and deco course? If I can, yes. As Bob pointed out there will be some things I would want/love to see that require more training/knowledge than what normal rec classes would offer.

Besides, coming to this realization now allows me to spend money I would have put on training/gear to well, less expensive training and gear as well as actual dives.

I used to dive mostly deep wrecks with other buddies in similar gear. I now have a boat with limited deck space. If I want to make a dive requiring doubles and deco gas it has to be a dive I'm comfortable making solo. There is not enough room for two sets of tech gear. I'm fine with that. Most of my diving now is single tank, rarely deeper than 130'.
One of my favorite "tech" sites is Ship Rock off Catalina Island. There are Chimney sponges beginning around 205' and the rock breaks the surface. There is something to look at all the way through the dive. When diving a deep wreck I hope for jellies to see during deco. If the water is empty I clip my spool to the anchor line, cross my arms and rest my head. If I have more than twenty minutes of deco I will sometimes sing one side of an album to myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom