Background and opinions on PADI Discover Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ihnatko

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy!

I did a Discover Scuba dive a couple of weeks ago in Bermuda. It was a fab experience all around; the instructor took went through the lessons carefully, it was a very small group, and he moved us slowly and with lots of personal attention, step to step from the lessons on the boat to the final check at the bottom of the dive area.

Before I blog about my afternoon, though, I thought I'd ask experienced divers what they think about PADI Discover Scuba in general. I did look into it before signing up -- chiefly, I made sure that it means "this is an established method for taking uncertified newbies on their first dive" as opposed to "one of our bartenders bought a rig on eBay and he's seen 'The Abyss', like, a million times; it's all good."

Other than that, I don't know much. I was _left_ with the impression that though any kind of diving comes with risks and is never as safe as staying on the beach with a good book, this sort of dive is by no means a foolish or dangerous thing to sign up for.

I bet some of the readers of my blog might be in the same place as I was when the opportunity presented itself Like many folks, I've always wanted to try diving but couldn't really justify the time and money of certification without any real knowledge of what the experience would be like.

I sure wouldn't wan't to take my positive experience with this one outfit and represent it as the way a Discover Scuba dive always goes, unless it really has that kind of a solid reputation.

Opinions? Background?

As you can guess, I had a great time. Before, I said "I know nothing about diving." Now I can proudly say "I know NEXT to nothing." :)

:vintagediver::vintagediver:I also took a discover scuba with PADI although we were in a pool. The instructor we had did a great job making sure we understood everything and if we took a little longer getting something right they made sure we got it before moving on.I am looking forward to starting my certification for open water soon.

What a wonderful experience!! Now you "KNOW"..what it's like to dive...be one with the fish..if you choose..with more training/commitment...you too can get certified..do local diving too.
OR..Discover Scuba when ever you're on vacation.

I have a family that vacations by me every year...they do "Discover Scuba"...yes.. every year for the past 10yrs..I asked why not just get certified?? This is what they said...
Why??
We dive once a year...here..with you...If we got certified..we would still dive once a year..here..with you...

Ok, then..

I think the discover scuba is a great idea, my step daughter is begging me to take her diving so I want to sign her up for a discover scuba to make sure she does really like it before I go and spend a small fortune on kit for her! Only issue i've found is that a lot of places here don't have kids equipment so it still looks like I need to fork out for some stuff :eek:hbrother:

I think Discover Scuba=PADI is a great way at a low cost to show the experience of diving in a low pressure and quick process that safely puts the DS diver in the water with out book work and just the basic safety information and basic skills.
IMO its a great way to introduce folks to diving,It's not for every one! and Its a stepping stone for those who like it to advance into diving and those who do not like it not waste their money.
I have seen so many young and old try the course and some did well others not!Some the ones you think would do great had problems clearing a major stumbling block for many new divers to be!
My youngest son did many discover scubas as he grew up,prior to being old enough to get his PADI JOW course and being around hard core divers since his birth he did extremely well on his JOW course but he had the skills and pool time.
I think its great!
Dive safe,
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom